Toy studies problem (large likelihood value)

Hi all,

I am doing toy studies on a binned ML fit using the RooMCStudy class and when calculating the pull on my parameter of interest I get many warning messages:

[#1] INFO:NumericIntegration -- RooRealIntegral::init(pullGauss_Int[Signalpull]) using numeric integrator RooIntegrator1D to calculate Int(Signalpull)
[#1] INFO:Minization -- RooMinimizer::optimizeConst: activating const optimization
[#0] WARNING:Eval -- RooAbsPdf::getLogVal(pullGauss) WARNING: large likelihood value: 2.994e+07
[#0] WARNING:Eval -- RooAbsPdf::getLogVal(pullGauss) WARNING: large likelihood value: 2.96e+07
[#0] WARNING:Eval -- RooAbsPdf::getLogVal(pullGauss) WARNING: large likelihood value: 2.712e+07
[#0] WARNING:Eval -- RooAbsPdf::getLogVal(pullGauss) WARNING: large likelihood value: 2.735e+07
…

Moreover the plot looks quite bizarre:
Toy_3pi3pi_SecondStrategy_1000_Normal_sigShape_0Signal_0.7max_0.0min-3.pdf (21.3 KB)

Do you have any idea why?

Cheers,
Jacopo

I guess @moneta can help you.

Hi,

The reason of the large likelihood value is probably because the pdf gets evaluated in bad parameter space regions. This might cause bad fits which give you crazy parameter values.
I would try constraints your apply stringent and stronger fit parameter constraints (limits in the RooRealVar objects ) that could help the toy fits to work and converge

Cheers

Lorenzo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.