Source not compiling after upgrade to Ventura

_ROOT Version: 6.22 source
_Platform: Mac OS 13.0
_Compiler: Apple clang version 14.0.0 (clang-1400.0.29.202) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin22.1.0
Thread model: posix

I see from other posts that root compiles on Mac OS 13.0 Ventura. However, on my machine, it stops as per the below. Note: I have the latest version of Xcode and command line tools installed. Do you have any idea or suggestions? Thanks

Claude

Consolidate compiler generated dependencies of target valarrayDict
[ 88%] Built target valarrayDict
Consolidate compiler generated dependencies of target G__Rint
[ 88%] Built target G__Rint
Consolidate compiler generated dependencies of target Rint
[ 88%] Built target Dint
[ 88%] Generating G__MathMore.cxx, …/…/lib/MathMore.pcm
<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: fatal error: module file ‘/Users/aa7526/opt/root/root_build/lib/Rint.pcm’ is out of date and needs to be rebuilt: could not read module signature
<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: note: imported by module ‘MathCore’ in ‘/Users/aa7526/opt/root/root_build/lib/MathCore.pcm’
Error: Module ‘MathCore.pcm’ failed to load.
Error: Error loading the default rootcling header files.
make[2]: *** [math/mathmore/G__MathMore.cxx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [math/mathmore/CMakeFiles/G__MathMore.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Do you have an Intel or a M1 machine?

I have an 8-Core Intel Core i7

did you compile from a clean build folder? ( I do not see any problem compiling on my Intel Mac using ventura)

yes. I actually deleted the root_build folder and regenerated it with the CMAKE command and then proceeded to use make to compile the source.

Obviously, something is different or improperly setup on my machine since it appears that Rint.pcm is out of date and needs to be rebuilt. Any idea what could cause that “mismatch”?
Thanks for your help.

Does it work now ?

I deleted the build and install directories, made sure there are no environment variables pointing to wrong places. Called cmake. Called make install. It still fails but features a different issue:

[ 52%] Linking CXX shared library …/…/lib/libRint.so
[ 52%] Built target Rint
[ 52%] Generating G__Imt.cxx, …/…/lib/Imt.pcm
<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: remark: building module ‘MultiProc’ as ‘/Users/aa7526/opt/root/root_build/lib/MultiProc.pcm’ [-Rmodule-build]
Error: Building module ‘MultiProc’ implicitly. If ‘MultiProc’ requires a
dictionary please specify build dependency: ‘G__Imt.cxx’ depends on ‘MultiProc’.
Otherwise, specify ‘-mByproduct MultiProc’ to disable this diagnostic.
make[2]: *** [core/imt/G__Imt.cxx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [core/imt/CMakeFiles/G__Imt.dir/all] Error 2

How do I specify ‘-mByproduct MultiProc’ to disable this diagnostic.

I see you are installing from the 6.22 sources. Is there any reason for that? Can you take a more recent version? for instance, I am installing from master on Ventura and I have no problem.

Hi @cpruneau ,

sorry for the trouble. Please see [official] ROOT on MacOS Ventura 13.0 .

Cheers,
Enrico

ACLiC does not work properly even with the master branch.

My efforts to build from source are still unsuccessful. It seems that there is a bug with the PCM file loader… Anyhow, I downloaded the master as a binary for MacOs. After dealing with the APPLE nonsense of agreeing to use software not approved by them (actually Ventura has a switch to allow codes to run w/o the nominal APPLE security protection from the command line. So … I am able to run root. I am also able to build my own set of tools based on root libraries. However this excludes TPythia8 which does not appear to be in the binary master (why not include it?) so I cannot run some of Pythia related stuff… but I am able to do some work. It would be nice to recover full functionality and be able to run from source or have TPythia and related libs part of the binary distribution.

Thanks for all your help

Maybe @vvassilev can comment ? as I said I do not see any problem building ROOT from the sources on Ventura (I do it many time per day) except the Cling problem which will be soon fixed (a PR exists).

Hi cpruneau, did you try with the master and if it still fails can you paste the error you see?

Yes. I did re-try with the master. Same issue
[ 78%] Building CXX object core/rint/CMakeFiles/G__Rint.dir/G__Rint.cxx.o

[ 78%] Built target G__Rint

[ 78%] Building CXX object core/rint/CMakeFiles/Rint.dir/src/TRint.cxx.o

[ 78%] Building CXX object core/rint/CMakeFiles/Rint.dir/src/TTabCom.cxx.o

[ 78%] Linking CXX shared library …/…/lib/libRint.so

[ 78%] Built target Rint

[ 78%] Generating G__Imt.cxx, …/…/lib/Imt.pcm

<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: remark: building module ‘MultiProc’ as ‘/Users/aa7526/opt/root-from-source-broken/root_build/lib/MultiProc.pcm’ [-Rmodule-build]

Error: Building module ‘MultiProc’ implicitly. If ‘MultiProc’ requires a

dictionary please specify build dependency: ‘G__Imt.cxx’ depends on ‘MultiProc’.

Otherwise, specify ‘-mByproduct MultiProc’ to disable this diagnostic.

make[2]: *** [core/imt/G__Imt.cxx] Error 1

make[1]: *** [core/imt/CMakeFiles/G__Imt.dir/all] Error 2

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.