ROOT build with Python 3.7 in centos7

Hello ,

I want to load ROOT in my conda environment. The conda environment has Python 3.7 and I am unable to find ROOT build with centos7 and Python3.7. I am checking in sft.cern.ch and slc7 cmssw builds.

Any suggestion would be helpful in this regard.

Thank you.
Amandeep Kaur

Hi @Amey,

Did you checked the instructions for installing ROOT with Conda in Installing ROOT - ROOT?

Cheers,
J.

Hi,

Thank you.
I am avoiding to that. Since, I am downloading on my serve, ROOT and other packages (COFFEA, DASK, UPROOT) need to be compatible with each other. I have gone through this issue, so just want to load an already built ROOT :slight_smile:

Amandeep Kaur

What about something like

$ conda install -c conda-forge -n your_existing_environment root

?

1 Like

Thanks,

I can give this a try in my existing environment. I was first installing the ROOT and then different packages.

Amandeep Kaur

You must ensure that all your utilities are compiled with the same C++ compiler (e.g., the one provided by conda).

2 Likes

Hi,

I am asking conda to install ROOT and it is taking forever to solve the environment (~2 hrs). Is this expected? I am adding the lines below which it printed :

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: /

–Amandeep Kaur

Hi,
conda is notoriously slow. I find myself much better when using mamba. It’s the same as using conda, but much faster. I suggest you read the docs, but the following steps should already give you a minimal working environment (taken from here):

curl -L -O "https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge/releases/latest/download/Mambaforge-$(uname)-$(uname -m).sh"
bash Mambaforge-$(uname)-$(uname -m).sh
# The bash script will install mamba into a folder of your choice
# For simplicity, in the following I suppose you installed it
# in a folder called `mambaforge` in the same directory where you
# ran the bash script.
source mambaforge/bin/activate
mamba create -n myenv root python==3.7.*
1 Like

Thank you everyone for all the suggestion.

I had let the ‘conda’ solve the ‘root’ environment last evening, and it solved it overnight.
There should be another way to make this faster.

Thanks again,
Amandeep Kaur

@Amey Note that you should strictly use the “conda-forge” channel: ROOT → Install → Install via a package manager → Conda

1 Like

Thanks, Yes, I made sure that I use conda-forge. :slight_smile:

Amandeep Kaur

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.