On / off problem, upper limit evaluation, CLb depends on POI

Dear all,
I developed a model for an on/off problem, where my likelihood is the product of two Poisson functions, the first depends on the measured number of events “n” in the signal region, with mean value S+B+B’, and the second is a Poisson function that depends on the measured number of events “m” in the control region, with mean value “tau * B”. “tau” and “B’” are two constant parameters, with no uncertainty. B is a nuisance parameter.
If I understood correctly, the CLb value should not depend on the POI (here, S). However, If I try to calculate an upper limit, both with the AsympoticCalculator and with the FrequentistCalculator, I get a dependence on “S” for small value of this. I attach two plots to show this, obtained, respectively, from the AsymptoticCalculator and from the FrequentistCalculator.

I also attach the workspace, and the code I use for hypo inversion.
I am using ROOT version 6.20/04 on Centos7.

poissonRuns.out_tot.root (12.8 KB)
poissonRuns_HipoInverter_minimal.C (4.5 KB)

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

I guess @moneta can help you.

Hi,
I would not worry about this. It is an artifact of the definition of the one side test statistics, see eq. 53 of https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1140/epjc/s10052-011-1554-0.pdf.
The test statistics is defined as zero for tested values less than the fitted signal value, so you see a flat blue line and this dependency, since it does not make sense to look in that region of parameter space.

Lorenzo

Dear Lorenzo,
thanks for your clear explanation!

Bests,
Andrea

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.