Missing definition of Vc_1::Common::checkLibraryAbi

ROOT Version: git v6-24-00-patches @5af1fa4d3d
Platform: x86_64 Fedora 34
Compiler: 11.2.1 20210728

while the building (ninja) ended successfully (died once, restarted with -j8) i got this at the end:

[2702/2704] Generating tutorials/hsimple.root
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4Vc_16Common15checkLibraryAbiEjjPKc' unresolved while linking function '_GLOBAL__sub_I_cling_module_1'!
You are probably missing the definition of Vc_1::Common::checkLibraryAbi(unsigned int, unsigned int, char const*)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?

Processing hsimple.C...
hsimple   : Real Time =   0.03 seconds Cpu Time =   0.03 seconds
(TFile *) 0x2910660
[2704/2704] Linking CXX executable bin/hist2workspace

is it something worth filling a issue for?
Thanks!

This is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / x86_64 / gcc 9.3.0 here.
The building of the current “v6-24-00-patches” branch (the default cmake / make is used with “-j1”) says (for all three C++11, C++14 and C++17 builds):

(...)
[ 97%] Built target root
Scanning dependencies of target hsimple
[ 97%] Generating tutorials/hsimple.root
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4Vc_16Common15checkLibraryAbiEjjPKc' unresolved while linking function '_GLOBAL__sub_I_cling_module_1'!
You are probably missing the definition of Vc_1::Common::checkLibraryAbi(unsigned int, unsigned int, char const*)

Processing hsimple.C...
hsimple   : Real Time =   0.21 seconds Cpu Time =   0.10 seconds
(TFile *) 0x55941b3a5e00
[ 97%] Built target hsimple
Scanning dependencies of target New
(...)

Same problems have been reported in:

@Axel I also noticed another two warnings about redefined Vc macros (for all three C++11, C++14 and C++17 builds):

(...)
[ 72%] Built target Imt
[ 72%] Generating G__MathCore.cxx, ../../lib/MathCore.pcm
While building module 'MathCore':
While building module 'Vc' imported from /.../v6-24-00-patches/include/Math/Types.h:19:
In file included from <module-includes>:1:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/Vc:30:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/vector.h:37:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/sse/vector.h:402:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/scalar/../common/../sse/vector.tcc:30:
/usr/include/Vc/scalar/../common/../sse/../common/bitscanintrinsics.h:37:13: warning: '_bit_scan_forward' macro redefined [-Wmacro-redefined]
#    define _bit_scan_forward(x) __builtin_ctz(x)
            ^
/.../v6-24-00-patches/etc//cling/lib/clang/9.0.1/include/ia32intrin.h:72:9: note: previous definition is here
#define _bit_scan_forward(A) __bsfd((A))
        ^
While building module 'MathCore':
While building module 'Vc' imported from /.../v6-24-00-patches/include/Math/Types.h:19:
In file included from <module-includes>:1:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/Vc:30:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/vector.h:37:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/sse/vector.h:402:
In file included from /usr/include/Vc/scalar/../common/../sse/vector.tcc:30:
/usr/include/Vc/scalar/../common/../sse/../common/bitscanintrinsics.h:44:13: warning: '_bit_scan_reverse' macro redefined [-Wmacro-redefined]
#    define _bit_scan_reverse(x) _Vc_bit_scan_reverse_asm(x)
            ^
/.../v6-24-00-patches/etc//cling/lib/clang/9.0.1/include/ia32intrin.h:73:9: note: previous definition is here
#define _bit_scan_reverse(A) __bsrd((A))
        ^
Scanning dependencies of target G__MathCore
[ 72%] Building CXX object math/mathcore/CMakeFiles/G__MathCore.dir/G__MathCore.cxx.o
[ 72%] Built target G__MathCore
Scanning dependencies of target MathCore
(...)

These should have been fixed in Vc. Any chance that you can upgrade to the latest release?

@vvassilev FYI - see the reports on

What’s the status with this?

As stated in my previous post, I built … the current “v6-24-00-patches” branch … where the current means today “as of 9 days ago” (the last commit was 11 days ago).

BTW. “Vc” comes from “vc-dev 1.3.3-4” and it seems to be the latest version on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

We have a PR fixing the issue - [cxxmodules] Fix ROOT-11002 -- Vc plus GMI by vgvassilev · Pull Request #8788 · root-project/root · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.