Log-likelihood projection for simultaneous fit

Dear Experts,

The -log(likelihood) projection doesn’t work well for simultaneous fit. Here is the sample code;

##fitting variables
Mbc = ROOT.RooRealVar("Mbc", 'M_{bc} [GeV/c^{2}]', 5.2,5.29)
deltaE = ROOT.RooRealVar("deltaE", "#DeltaE [GeV]", -0.15,0.1)
roo_dataA1 = df2roo(A1, {'Mbc': Mbc, 'deltaE':deltaE}) ##1st data set
roo_dataA2 = df2roo(A2, {'Mbc': Mbc, 'deltaE':deltaE}) ##2nd data set
##combined data set for simultaneous fit
combData = ROOT.RooDataSet("combData","combined data",ROOT.RooArgSet(Mbc,deltaE),ROOT.RooFit.Index(sample),ROOT.RooFit.Import("mumu",roo_dataA1),ROOT.RooFit.Import("ee",roo_dataA2))
##simultaneous fit
result =  simPdf.fitTo(combData, ROOT.RooFit.Save(),ROOT.RooFit.Extended(), ROOT.RooFit.Minos())
##profile likelihood projection
nll = simPdf.createNLL(combData)
ROOT.RooMinuit(nll).migrad()
nll_frame = Nsig.frame()
nll.plotOn(nll_frame, ROOT.RooFit.ShiftToZero(), ROOT.RooFit.Name('stat'), ROOT.RooFit.LineColor(ROOT.kBlue))
nll_frame.GetYaxis().SetRangeUser(0,2)
nll_frame.GetXaxis().SetTitle("N_{sig}")
nll_frame.Draw()

Here, I would expect the profile likelihood projection minimum should be at signal yield (Nsig). But for this case,
Let’s say, Nsig from fit is 2.13445 +/- (-2.35871,2.71869)
The profile likelihood minimum is at 0.312568 +/- 2.24925.

But the same profile likelihood calculation procedure works fine for standard fitting instead of simultaneous fit.

Waiting for some helpful suggestions!

I think @moneta can help.

Hello @CS_p,

which ROOT version are you using?

I recently fixed a bug related to NLL plotting: [RF] Make no distinction in VectorDataStore between `get` and getNative by guitargeek · Pull Request #11477 · root-project/root · GitHub

You should try again with ROOT 6.28.00 that will be released next week, by building ROOT master yourself, or by sourcing the ROOT nightly builds: Nightlies - ROOT

If the problem is still there, please come back here with a full reproducer code for the problem, because with the code you have posted right now I can’t reproduce the issue and I also can’t tell what might go wrong.

Cheers,
Jonas

Hi @jonas

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Currently, I am using root version 6.24. I will try again with the new root version and report here in case of an issue.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.