Installing root error on Ubuntu

Hello everyone!

I have this issue on my Ubuntu when I try to install root with cmake at 95% it show this error:

[ 95%] Built target RooStats
make[2]: *** No rule to make target ‘/home/cactus/root/root-6.26.00/roofit/hs3/HistFactory’, needed by ‘roofit/hs3/G__RooFitHS3.cxx’. Stop.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:34795: roofit/hs3/CMakeFiles/G__RooFitHS3.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
[ 97%] Built target TMVA
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2

does anybody know what I did wrong?

ROOT Version: v6.26.00
Platform: Ubuntu 20

Hi @Vojta_Fluger ,
and welcome to the ROOT forum.

Compiling the master branch should not incur in this issue, which has been fixed in the meanwhile. Note however that you typically don’t have to compile ROOT from source to install the latest release, see Installing ROOT - ROOT .

@jonas do we need a backport of your fix to v6-26-00-patches?

Cheers,
Enrico

An interesting question is why some people face this problem and some don’t (e.g., I built “v6-26-00-patches” with “-j5”).

Educated guess: multi-process cmake builds build things in a different order in different cases, so someone might get lucky and someone might not.

@Vojta_Fluger Can you try to execute this command several times in a row: make -k -j$(($(nproc)+1))

This didn’t help, but I’m afraid I forgot to add the “-k” make flag there:

Well, maybe one should try to enforce the building of some specific missing target first (which?) and then let it continue with the target “install”.

I tried many many times (50 times, each with 10 retries, -j8)) in the other report @Wile_E_Coyote linked above.
not a single one succeeded (in the end I just -Droofit=OFF).

so, with that “many” attempts, I would have expected at least one attempt to succeed if that was just “bad luck”.
ie: there must be something else at work to make this deterministic.

@sbinet if you can “reproduce” this problem … try “make -k” several times.

I suppose your configuration does not have xml on, correct? You can check in CMakeCache.txt.

Please install libxml2-dev and re-run cmake.

This is still a bug; I have opened hs3 enabled despite histfactory off · Issue #10103 · root-project/root · GitHub

I have “libxml2-dev”.

Can you share your CMakeLists.txt, please?

@Axel I do NOT have this problem (it builds fine). You probably want the CMakeLists.txt from where it fails.

OK good, so that doesn’t reject my hypothesis :slight_smile: Indeed, we’ll need @sbinet 's or @Vojta_Fluger 's CMakeCache.txt! (But if you feel like it you can also try to disable xml (cmake -Dxml=OFF) and confirm that this will continue to build hs3 despite HistFactory not being built. But we can also just wait for the others.)

@Axel I confirm that adding “-Dxml=OFF” results in this error.

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue!

In ROOT 6.26 we introduced a new library RooFitHS3 that depends on HistFactory, but we didn’t consider that HistFactory is only built with -Dxml=ON.

I have opened a PR now to hopefully fix this for good:

We will also backport it to the next patch release so you will not have these problems anymore.

If you have time to try it, please try to build ROOT with the commit from my PR applied, switching off xml, and let me know if it works :+1:

Cheers,
Jonas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.