Get number of entries within certain range from TOY generated data sets

Hello,

I generate some TOY data sets from a PDF within a certain range. Now I want to get the number of data points with different sub-ranges from the generated data sets.

The generated toy data distribution is shown here.

Now I want to get how many events are there in between (1,1.3) and (1.3,1.8) etc. can anyone let me know how to calculate the number of entries within the subranges.

Thanks

TH1::Integral

1 Like

Hi,
Thank You for the prompt answer. But in that way, I need to convert from Roodataset to TH1. Can you let me know how to convert?

Thanks

RooDataSet::sumEntries(const char* cutSpec, const char* cutRange = 0)

You can either set ranges on the observable, and name them one by one, or you just list cuts such as myDataSet.sumEntries("0 < x && x < 5").
Replace x with the name of your observable.

Hi Stephan,

Thank You! This works directly without converting to TH1. But I try to convert to TH1. After converting,the Integral() is not working properly when I specify limits. But Integral() without mentioning the range gives the total number of entries.

cout<<“Sum of entries…”<< data->sumEntries(“1.3 < x && x < 1.5”)<<endl;

TH1 h1 = (TH1)data->createHistogram(“h1”,x);

Double_t calc;
calc = h1->Integral(1.3,1.5);
cout<<"Integral …= "<<calc<<endl;

Output:

: warning: implicit conversion from ‘double’ to ‘Int_t’ (aka ‘int’) changes value from 1.5 to 1 [-Wliteral-conversion]
calc = h1->Integral(1.3,1.5);
~~~~~~~~ ^~~

Output:
Sum of entries…4
Integral …= 1

I don’t recommend converting to TH1, as you will lose information when things are sorted into bins. Nevertheless,

The integral function takes bin numbers, not x values.

TH1::FindFixBin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.