Fit fails on sub-ranges but succeeds over full range

Dear experts,

I am running into the following problem related to fitting in sub-ranges (sidebands). I created a minimal example macro that reproduces my problem. The rootfile and macro are attached.

setup

I have some spectrum where there are two Gaussian peaks and some smooth polynomial background in between them (and underneath both peaks). I want to fit the spectrum but with some section in the middle region excluded. The idea is to use the sidebands to completely constrain the shape and normalization over the excluded region given this model.

problem

The fit runs perfectly fine if I fit on the full range:

model.fitTo(*data);

However, it fails if I run the fit on left+right sidebands:

model.fitTo(*data,Range("SBLeft,SBRight"));

The core parts regarding the model definition and fitting looks like the following:

RooRealVar x("x","x",0.,1.);

RooRealVar mean_1("mean_1","mean 1",0.135,0.134,0.136);
        RooRealVar sigma_1("sigma_1","sigma 1",0.006,0.005,0.007);
        RooGaussian gaus_1("gaus_1","gaus 1",x,mean_1,sigma_1);

RooRealVar mean_2("mean_2","mean 2",0.548,0.547,0.549);
        RooRealVar sigma_2("sigma_2","sigma 2",0.0098,0.0097,0.0099);
        RooGaussian gaus_2("gaus_2","gaus 2",x,mean_2,sigma_2);

RooRealVar a0("a0","a0",1.,0.,2.);
        RooPolynomial bkg("bkg","bkg",x,RooArgSet(a0));

RooRealVar ngaus_1("ngaus_1","ngaus 1",8000.,100,100000);
        RooRealVar ngaus_2("ngaus_2","ngaus ",2000.,100,100000);
        RooRealVar nbkg("nbkg","nbkg",8000.,10,10000);

RooAddPdf model("model","model",RooArgList(gaus_1,gaus_2,bkg),RooArgList(ngaus_1,ngaus_2,nbkg));

x.setRange("SBLeft", 0., 0.33);
        x.setRange("SBRight", 0.37 , 1.);

//RooFitResult* result = model.fitTo(*data); // success
        RooFitResult* result = model.fitTo(*data,Range("SBLeft,SBRight")); // fail

my guess of the cause

After reading some posts and playing with it, I think the cause of the problem is the following:

When fitting multiple ranges, pdfs are normalized and log-likelihoods are calculated over each individual range before they are summed and fed to the minimizer. This will be a problem when normalizing over, e.g. SBLeft, for the component gaus_2 since it is so far in the tail, the normalization will be 0 in this sub-range, creating a problem.

questions

Hence, my questions are:

1. Is my interpretation above of why it fails correct?
  2. What is the proper way to handle this situation with RooFit?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Yunjie
minimal_example_fit.C (1.9 KB)
minimal_output_generated.root (123.6 KB)

P.S. I am working with ROOT 6.12.04 and RooFit v3.60

I think @moneta can help you.

Hi,
what you are saying it is maybe possible. We need to check if it is true. However, if this is the case, a workaround would be to perform the fit by building two separate models, one for the left range and one of the right and performing a combined model fit

Lorenzo

Actually I have tried your example now and the sideband fit works fine with me. I see you are using ROOT 6.12 , which is quite old. Many bugs gave been fixed in the mean time. If using roofit, I would strongly recommend to use the latest version available
Cheers
Lorenzo

1 Like

Thank you very much Lorenzo for looking into it and the suggestion! Running with the latest ROOT 6.20.04 solves the problem indeed!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.