X11 not found by configure

Hi,

I am trying to compile root v5-34-09 32 bit on Kubuntu 13.04 64 bit. Unfortunately, it does not find libX11, even though it is installed:

$ ./configure linux
Checking for source directory … /opt/root/fromGit_i386
Configuring for linux
Checking for GNU Make version >= 3.80 … ok
Checking for C compiler … gcc
Checking for C++ compiler … g++
Checking for linker (LD) … g++
Checking for F77 compiler … gfortran
Checking for libX11 … no
configure: libX11 MUST be installed
See root.cern.ch/drupal/content/build-prerequisites

config.log is attached. It seems it checks only the 64bit directories and not the 32 bit ones (where the files are located):

& ls /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.* -l
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1868256 May 30 00:39 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 30 00:39 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so -> libX11.so.6.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 30 00:39 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 -> libX11.so.6.3.0
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1268672 May 30 00:39 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6.3.0

Anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
e_dude
config.log.txt (7.15 KB)

push

ok…

that seems a bit inconsistent with your previous statement.

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

Why? I have a 64 bit operating system on which I would like to compile ROOT in 32 bit mode (because it is a dependency in a program which only works when compiled in 32 bit mode). Therefore, I use ./configure linux (and not ./configure linuxx8664gcc)and need the 32-bit dependency libraries.

Regards,
e_dude

Yes … according to the help what you do sounds right …
I guess that’s more for Fons …

push

I think you have to install 32-bit versions of X11 lib for this and you need libX11dev:i386/libXpm/libXext or something like this. Unfortunately I’ve completely screwed up my Kubuntu 13.04 (installed on VBox) while trying to do this, but I’m pretty sure I was doing something really wrong :slight_smile:

Hi tpochep,

thanks for your reply!

[quote=“tpochep”]
I think you have to install 32-bit versions of X11 lib for this and you need libX11dev:i386/libXpm/libXext or something like this. Unfortunately I’ve completely screwed up my Kubuntu 13.04 (installed on VBox) while trying to do this, but I’m pretty sure I was doing something really wrong :slight_smile:[/quote]

All that is installed (see first post), but the configure script is not picking up the libraries, i.e. is not looking in the right directories for Kubuntu.

Regards,
e_dude

[quote=“explorer_dude”]Hi tpochep,

thanks for your reply!

[quote=“tpochep”]
I think you have to install 32-bit versions of X11 lib for this and you need libX11dev:i386/libXpm/libXext or something like this. Unfortunately I’ve completely screwed up my Kubuntu 13.04 (installed on VBox) while trying to do this, but I’m pretty sure I was doing something really wrong :slight_smile:[/quote]

All that is installed (see first post), but the configure script is not picking up the libraries, i.e. is not looking in the right directories for Kubuntu.

Regards,
e_dude[/quote]

Ah ok, so you have 32-bit versions? Well, then you can try --with-x11-libdir=…, --with-xpm-libdir … etc. when configuring. Of course, configure script (or whatever) can/must be fixed, but meanwhile you can succeed compiling a 32-bit ROOT using these switches.