Which CMake version to use

In this post: Problem building 5.34.34 with VS12
I find: [quote]One difference is the version of CMake (3.2.2). But be careful, I know that some of the latest versions of CMake have problems too…[/quote]
In another posts in the same thread (mentioned above), at least two CMake versions are claimed to be broken: 3.1.2 and 3.4.3 (is it “Windows” / “Visual Studio 12” specific? maybe not, see also this problem report: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21993&p=96391#p96391).

So, could you, please, list CMake versions which are known to work well.
Also, could you, please, list CMake versions which are known to “have problems”.
Are these two lists somehow “operating system” specific?

As of today (2016.04.07), the “Latest Release” is 3.5.1 and the “Previous Release” is 3.4.3.
Older Releases” are 3.5.0, 3.4.[210], 3.3.[210] (well, older releases are not really interesting -> for example the newest Geant 4 needs at least CMake 3.3).

P.S. For some reasons, I need to know if CMake 3.5.0 is fine or not, especially on SL© 6 and another Linux systems (or is an upgrade to 3.5.1 “mandatory”?).

Warning: as of today (2016.10.15), ROOT 6.06 and older require CMake 2.8.8 or newer, while ROOT 6.08 and newer require CMake 3.4.3 or newer (see the “cmake_minimum_required” setting in the “interpreter/llvm/src/CMakeLists.txt” file).

Hi Pepe,
The minimal version is 2.8.8 as indicated the main CMakeList.txt file. We do not check systematically all versions, however we test a variety of them. To give you an idea if you open the page cdash.cern.ch/index.php?project=ROOT and move the cursor on top of the build names you will see which versions are used by the different nightly builds. I am only aware of problems on very concrete versions that were superseded quickly with a new patch version. I hope this helps.
We have not tested yet any 3.5 release candidates but is very easy to do.

Pere

Hi,

So far, on Windows, 3.1.0 and 3.2.2 work just fine. I had issues with 3.4.x. And didn’t try any other version yet. On Linux CC7, 2.8.11 works fine, on SLC6 2.8.12.2 seems fine too. No idea about other platforms…

Cheers, Bertrand.

“3.5 release candidates”?
3.5.0 was released on 08-Mar-2016
3.5.1 was released on 24-Mar-2016
(Note: the newest Geant 4 needs at least CMake 3.3, so it makes no sense to try anything older).

On my Mac:

$ cmake --version
cmake version 3.3.2
CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).

Works fine.