What is RooNLLVar calculating with a RooSimultaneous model?

Hello,

I’ve been try to check my understanding of the RooNLLVar test statistic variable in RooFit. In particular, I thought that I would be able to ‘emulate’ the result of RooNLLVar with some code like this:

double nll(0);
  for(int i=0;i<data.numEntries();i++) {
    obs = *data.get(i); //sets the observables to the value of the ith entry
    nll -= model.getLogVal(&obs); //evaluates log of pdf value
  }
  nll += model.extendedTerm(data.numEntries(),&obs); //for extended models

However, I tried doing this with a RooSimultaneous-based model I was working with, and I get a different result between this ‘by hand’ method and what I get back from a RooNLLVar object.

I put together a SWAN notebook to demonstrate this difference …

https://cernbox.cern.ch/index.php/s/2SkQwbv9CkHJHy4

Can someone (possibly @moneta ?) help me understand what I’ve apparently missed in the calculation?

Thanks
Will

Hi,

In case of RooSimultaneus pdf there are some extra constants applied, see for example

I think it is difficult to reproduce exactly the same result in term of absolute value. What you should check if that the difference in Delta Log L (for two different parameter values) are the same. The absolute value does not count. There can always be some constant therm stripped or added

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

I spotted these extra terms in the code too, and really I should been a bit more up front about why I was trying to understand this. I was developing a goodness-of-fit test using the Baker-Cousins likelihood ratio. If I compute this test statistic by hand, I get a chi2-distribution, but I was hoping I could keep my code clean and use RooNLLVar to compute the numerator. But if there are these extra terms, then I will lose my chi2 distribution.

Anyway, I modified my notebook to add this extra term and that ends up giving me agreement. So glad this is understood. Why did RooSimultaneous do this???

Will

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.