What do these errors mean?

Hello,
What do these errors mean:

Error in TStreamerInfo::ReadBuffer: The element TAxis::fTimeDisplay type 218 (Bool_t) is not supported yet

Error in TBuffer::CheckByteCount: object of class TAxis read too few bytes: 104 instead of 105

These errors have suddenly started appearing whenever I use the Draw() or Get() functions. Usually both the errors appear at least 3 times when I use the Draw() function but then the histogram is drawn successfully. However, when I come to do a fit, the first error just prints out repeatedly. After a while the fit is drawn but the parameters are never displayed.
I don’t know what I’ve done to make these errors appear. Even if I exit root and start again they are still appearing.
I’m using version 4.10/02.
Thanks,
Kim

Do you have the same problem with a more recent version ?
Can you send a small example reproducing the problem ?

Hi,
First, here are two examples (in root[2] and root[3]) which illustrate the problem:
(I’ve attatched the root files in case they’re useful)

[code]
CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.15.152, Sep 13 2004
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
root [0] TFile * f1 = new TFile(“data_01-04-06.root”);
root [1] TFile * f2 = new TFile(“SP_01-04-06.root”);
root [2] TH2F * ho1 = (TH2F*)f2.Get(“h2d3011”);
Error in TStreamerInfo::ReadBuffer: The element TAxis::fTimeDisplay type 218 (Bool_t) is not supported yet

Error in TBuffer::CheckByteCount: object of class TAxis read too few bytes: 104 instead of 105

root [3] h2d705->Draw();

TCanvas::MakeDefCanvas: created default TCanvas with name c1
root [4][/code]

Secondly, I’ve found there’s no error when you do exactly the same steps but without opening file f1 at the beginning:

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.15.152, Sep 13 2004
root [0] TFile * f2 = new TFile("SP_01-04-06.root");
root [1] TH2F * ho1 = (TH2F*)f2.Get("h2d3011");
root [2] h2d705->Draw();
<TCanvas::MakeDefCanvas>: created default TCanvas with name c1
root [3]

Finally, these were all done using “bbrroot”, Root version 4.01/02, Interpreter version 5.15.152.
I’ve tested it also using “root”, Root version 4.01/02f, Interpreter version 5.15.169, and found that the problem disappears.

I hope this is useful.
Thanks,
Kim
data_01-04-06.root (112 KB)
SP_01-04-06.root (90.9 KB)

I think this problem is fixed in the recent ROOT versions:

pcepsft15.cern.ch> root
  *        W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *
  *   Version   5.11/01      3 March 2006   *
  *  You are welcome to visit our Web site  *
  *          http://root.cern.ch            *

FreeType Engine v2.1.9 used to render TrueType fonts.
Compiled on 3 April 2006 for linux with thread support.

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.16.10, March 30, 2006
root [0] TFile * f1 = new TFile("data_01-04-06.root");
root [1] TFile * f2 = new TFile("SP_01-04-06.root");
root [2] TH2F * ho1 = (TH2F*)f2.Get("h2d3011");
root [3]