Unable to find the /icons directory for *.xpm files

I got this problem that seems to have been found by other people, but I just could not find the solution. I am running a GUI application, and it can not find *.xpm files, although the /icons directory is there where it should.
Please, any hint is welcome.

Hi Laudo,

You have not said anything about the version of ROOT and how it was installed; on which environment. Please provide this important information.

Cheers, Ilka

Hello Ilka, thanks for the reply.

I am currently running root version 5.14. After trying a few tricks, I restarted this morning with ./configure linux. Initially I had root running from a binary download, the machine OS is Debian. I had everything running, except that I could not load LibThread. This is why I attempted to install root from source. The installation ran well, and root seems to be working OK. But now I got BREAK, segmentation fault, *.xpm not found, etc.

Laudo.

[quote=“antcheva”]Hi Laudo,

You have not said anything about the version of ROOT and how it was installed; on which environment. Please provide this important information.

Cheers, Ilka[/quote]

Hi Laudo,

If it is a problem on Debian, you may check the post root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=23391 or make search in the Forum looking for ‘Debian’ as a keyword and ‘cholm’ as the Author.

Cheers, Ilka

Hello,

I’ve checked the post and did not find it really helpful. Is it not anything more basic than a Debian problem? Why does root not look at the /icons directory? My previous quests indicate that this directory should be exactly where it is.

Laudo.

Hi Laudo,

Please provide more details about how have you installed root:

• Where have you installed root (in your home directory or elsewhere)?
  • Do you have $ROOTSYS set?
  • Do you have a .rootrc file located in your home or in your working directory that contains information about ‘Gui.IconPath’ ?
  • If none of .rootrc files above exist what is the setting of ‘Gui.IconPath’ in $ROOTSYS/etc/system.rootrc?

Cheers, Ilka

Hello,

• Where have you installed root (in your home directory or elsewhere)?

it is installed in my home directory

• Do you have $ROOTSYS set?

yes, $ROOTSYS = /home/laudo/Root/root_v5_14/root

• Do you have a .rootrc file located in your home or in your working directory that contains information about ‘Gui.IconPath’ ?

No.

• If none of .rootrc files above exist what is the setting of ‘Gui.IconPath’ in $ROOTSYS/etc/system.rootrc?

Gui.IconPath: $(HOME)/icons:$(ROOTSYS)/icons:

Thanks Ilka, and sorry if my problem is elementary

Laudo.

by the way:

I created the icons directory in $HOME and copied the *.xpm files there. Still it doesn't work. I had previously done the same under /usr/loca/lib/root, just to check whether root were looking for the *.xpm files in another standard path. No results.

Hi Laudo,

Your settings seem OK. I have another question: do you have asimage plugin installed?

Meanwhile I saw your last post. Have you done ‘make distclean’ , ‘make’ to clean up after any installation.

Cheers, Ilka

do you have asimage plugin installed?

I don’t think so. I never installed it.

Have you done ‘make distclean’ , ‘make’ to clean up after any installation.

No. Should I do that after the ./configure command ?

Hi Laudo,

About asimage see root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18323. To make sure you do not have mismatch of different root versions, please clean up and recompile root.

Cheers, Ilka

About asimage see root.cern.ch/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18323.

I’ve seen it. It actually seems to be a case very similar to what I am facing now. The solution found in that case was to work with a compiled (binary) root. But I know that it works this way, since I had a binary version running and started to have problems after I compiled root from source.

To make sure you do not have mismatch of different root versions, please clean up and recompile root.

I did it. It is now re-compiling. I should do:  'make distclean' , then 'make' then 'make install', right?

Hi

I should do: ‘make distclean’ , then ‘make’ then ‘make install’, right?
Yes (if there is nothing Debian specific). In addition, you could execute before running root the $ROOTSYS/bin/thisroot.[c]sh scripts to set correctly the ROOTSYS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other paths depending on the platform.

Cheers, Ilka

Dear Ilka,

I did the make distclean, etc… it took quite a while. This morning I re-compiled my application and still I have the same problem (rbutton_.xpm not found, arrow_.xpm not found, BREAK, sementation violation…)

Is there anything else I could try? Do I have to work work with a binary (pre-compiked) root if I want to develop GUI applications?

Hi Laudo,

May be you could try to install from what is available at mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/ As I proposed in the beginning try to find on this forum posts related to similar problems (for sure there are some).

Cheers, Ilka

May be you could try to install from what is available at mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/ >As I proposed in the beginning try to find on this forum posts related to similar problems (for >sure there are some).

OK Ilka,

I will keep looking for related posts

Dear Ilka,

I looked at some posts related to the /icons directory and *.xpm files problem. Indeed, other people have been stuck with this. But no one has really solved it. It looks like the only way around is to work with a binary root, and not attempting to build it from source.
Can you please confirm it before I close this post?

Thanks,

Laudo

Dear Laudo,

Only a Debian expert can answer your question, not me. I will send an e-mail to Christian Holm Christensen (our expert for ROOT Debian GNU/Linux and Ubuntu packages) pointing this topic.

Best regards, Ilka

Hi there,

Ilka, you didn’t put a link in your mail, as you normally do, and which I appreciate very because it eases things.

Laudo, first of all, I’ve never seen this problem with the pre-compiled Debian GNU/Linux builds - not on Debian i386 and amd64, nor have I heard any complaints from hppa, mips, and mipsel users. Of course, these are all ‘sid’ users, but I haven’t heard anything from ‘etch’ or ‘lenny’ users either.

Ilka suggested you install from the BNL repository - have you tried that? What was the result? If you did mention it previously in this thread, I must be dense, as I couldn’t make out if you had or if it worked.

Do you need a built from source? The Debian package set is pretty complete, but of course, if you have a BOFH that won’t install ROOT - sic - then you need to do it yourself.

My suggestion would be, to compile ROOT with debugging enabled, run ROOT via GDB and break in the member function that reports the error. Then step through the code and see where it fails. It could be deep. It has to be somebody that has the problem that does this - as it won’t tell you much if you don’t have the problem, so I hope you can take the time to do it (a rebuild of ROOT and 1/2 - 1 hour work). Send the result of the analysis (possibly including backtraces) to rootdev.

Yours,

Hi Christian,

You are right - this time the link was forgotten in my e-mail. Sorry… and thank you for your reply.

Best regards, Ilka