The version of ROOT and the compatibility with the Python

Hello

I want to check the compatibility of ROOT with the Python. The version of ROOT is 5.30 and the PYTHON is 2.7.3. I check them by in a shell the commands

root-config --has-python

The result is

no

What can I do?

Best wishes
violin

[url]Import ROOT error
[url]PyROOT and Ubuntu 12.04
[url]Installation succeeds but root doesn't start

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”][url]Import ROOT error
[url]PyROOT and Ubuntu 12.04
[url]Installation succeeds but root doesn’t start

Hi

I have installed root3.50,
./configure --enable-python --prefix=/home/…/root5.30
make
make install
Then I add “PATH=/home/…/root5.30:$PATH” in .bashrc.
But it still doesn’t work now. I enter root -config --has-python. The result is no.

I installed python2.7.3 in my computer. I set the PATH in .bashrc.
I dont know why root has no python.

Thanks for you help

Best withes
violin

http://root.cern.ch/download/doc/ROOTUsersGuideHTML/ch28s05.html
http://root.cern.ch/download/doc/ROOTUsersGuideHTML/ch19.html#d5e27343

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]http://root.cern.ch/download/doc/ROOTUsersGuideHTML/ch28s05.html
http://root.cern.ch/download/doc/ROOTUsersGuideHTML/ch19.html#d5e27343[/quote]

Hi:

I’m so sorry to waste your time. I am not good at the program.

I have installed ROOT, it can work. But I still have problem. When I entered “root-config --has-python” , the result is “no”. And I didn’t find libpyroot.so in root directory.
Then I installed python2.7.3 again. But I didnt find $PYTHONPATH,$PYTHONDIR in .bashrc. And I entered
"echo $PYTHONPATH "“echo $PYTHONDIR”, there is no result. I added $PYTHONPATH,$PYTHONDIR in .bashrc by myself:

export PYTHONDIR=/usr/local — the file has /bin and /lib (the lib have libpython2.7.a ,python2.7 , pkgconfig)
export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PYTHONDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$PYTHONDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/include/python2.7 ------ the file has many header files including python.h
export PYTHONPATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PYTHONPATH

I installed root again. But I have the follow problem:

/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In function PyThread_start_new_thread': /usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:193: undefined reference topthread_create’
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:209: undefined reference to pthread_detach' /usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:183: undefined reference topthread_attr_setstacksize’
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In function PyThread_allocate_lock': /usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:268: undefined reference tosem_init’
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In function PyThread_free_lock': /usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:292: undefined reference tosem_destroy’
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In function PyThread_acquire_lock': /usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:323: undefined reference tosem_trywait’
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:321: undefined reference to sem_wait' /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In functionPyThread_release_lock’:
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:346: undefined reference to sem_post' /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(thread.o): In function_pythread_pthread_set_stacksize’:
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/Python/thread_pthread.h:491: undefined reference to pthread_attr_setstacksize' /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In functionposix_openpty’:
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/./Modules/posixmodule.c:3756: undefined reference to openpty' /usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a(posixmodule.o): In functionposix_forkpty’:
/usr/local/Python-2.7.3/./Modules/posixmodule.c:3816: undefined reference to `forkpty’
collect2: ld back 1
make: *** [lib/libPyROOT.so] error 1

I’m going crazy. I really dont know what to do.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes
violin

The name “/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a” (the archive library that is used) suggests that you do not have the python shared library installed (i.e. the corresponding “libpython2.7.so” file is missing).
If this is the case, you probably need to configure and build your python adding the “–enable-shared” flag.
Then you need to configure and build your ROOT from scratch again also adding the “–enable-shared” flag.

[quote=“Pepe Le Pew”]The name “/usr/local/lib/libpython2.7.a” (the archive library that is used) suggests that you do not have the python shared library installed (i.e. the corresponding “libpython2.7.so” file is missing).
If this is the case, you probably need to configure and build your python adding the “–enable-shared” flag.
Then you need to configure and build your ROOT from scratch again also adding the “–enable-shared” flag.[/quote]

Thank you very much! I have succeed to install root with python. My problem is that I didn’t add the “–enable-shared” building my ROOT, though I installed the python adding the “–enable-shared”.
Thanks for your time again

violin