TGraph with string values - string values on X axis won't display

Hi everyone,

I am plotting a graph with double Y axis and string values on the X axis, but along the x axis the values aren’t displayed. It just shows one of them at the end. Any idea how to solve this?

void plot(){
std::vector<Double_t> y_vals;
std::vector<std::string> x_labels;
std::vector<Double_t> y2_vals;
auto c=new TCanvas();
c->SetGrid();
// Fill the vectors here
std::ifstream file ("data40K.txt");
if(!file){
cout << "File doesn't exist" << endl;
    }
std::string x;
double x2, y, y2;

while(!file.eof()){
file >> x >> y >> x2 >> y2;
x_labels.push_back(x);
y_vals.push_back(y);
y2_vals.push_back(y2);
                }
//fill the Graphs
c->cd();
TGraph* tg = new TGraph(TMath::Min(y_vals.size(), x_labels.size())); // Create the TGraph object

for (Int_t i = 0; i < TMath::Min(y_vals.size(), x_labels.size()); i++) { // Loop over all entries
    tg->SetPoint(i, i + 1., y_vals[i]); // Set The point itself
    tg->GetXaxis()->SetBinLabel(tg->GetXaxis()->FindBin(i + 1.), x_labels[i].c_str()); // Find out which bin on the x-axis the point corresponds to and set t
}

TGraph* tg2 = new TGraph(TMath::Min(y2_vals.size(), x_labels.size())); // Create the TGraph object

for (Int_t i = 0; i < TMath::Min(y2_vals.size(), x_labels.size()); i++) { // Loop over all entries
    tg2->SetPoint(i, i + 1., y2_vals[i]); // Set The point itself
    tg2->GetXaxis()->SetBinLabel(tg2->GetXaxis()->FindBin(i + 1.), x_labels[i].c_str()); // Find out which bin on the x-axis the point corresponds to and set
}

// Draw the plots
tg->SetMarkerStyle(7);
tg2->SetMarkerStyle(8);
tg2->SetMarkerColor(kBlue);
tg2->SetLineColor(kBlue);

tg2->GetYaxis()->SetLabelColor(kBlue);

tg2->GetYaxis()->SetTitleOffset(1.4);
tg2->GetYaxis()->SetTitle("y2-title");
tg->GetYaxis()->SetTitle("y1-title");
tg->GetXaxis()->SetTitle("x1-title");

TPad *pad1 = new TPad("pad1","",0,0,1,1);
TPad *pad2 = new TPad("pad2","",0,0,1,1);
pad2->SetFillStyle(4000); //will be transparent
pad2->SetFrameFillStyle(0);

pad1->Draw();
pad1->cd();
tg->Draw("ALP"); // Draw the TGraph

pad2->Draw();
pad2->cd();
tg2->Draw("ALPY+"); //sets the axis/labels on the opposite side
c->Update();
}

data40K.txt (965 Bytes)

It draws the plot like this:

But I need it to be something like this:

Thank you for help!

@couet Perhaps you can help?

Conceptually a TGraph with alphanumeric labels won’t work. By definition a TGraph is build with two vectors X and Y giving the position of each points being part of the graph. So what will be the position in space of "foo"and “bar” ?

That’s completely different for binned data (histogram) where by definition bins are displayed next to each other in order. We only need the bin width,

By the way how did you get the bottom plot which is what you are looking for ? I guess it is an histogram ?

The second plot was made in a different software (Origin), I was just wondering if it is possible to do such thing in ROOT, as it would make my life easier.

I also tried this solution, to just trick it and then draw the axis of histogram like this, but it doesn’t do the job.

TH1F* h = (TH1F*) tg->GetHistogram()->Clone();
for (Int_t i = 0; i < tg->GetN(); i++)
    h->GetXaxis()->SetBinLabel(i + 1, x_labels[i].c_str());

The second plot looks very much “ROOT style”. That’s why I asked. As I said text label on TGraph (as defined in ROOT), do not make sense. You should go to binned data.

1 Like