TCanvas c1; command not working

I followed the physics_matters tutorial on youtube to download the ROOT program for windows through wsl, but I cannot get the TCanvas c1: command to produce a canvas. I have tried running sudo apt install libtiff-tools, but this doesn’t fix anything. I do not know anything about linux or the ROOT program, so I am unsure what the problem is or how to fix it.

Here is a more “official” guide (especially if you are using WSL):

For WSL2, this may work:

Note that, apart from ROOT, you need an X server running on Windows too, as explained in the pages above.

I’m trying to implement what you said here, but I’m not entirely sure what it means as I am completely knew to this area of technology. I am on windows 10 using ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS and root 6.30.02. I’m trying to understand what any of the commands mean from the youtube video I used, but I don’t know what they are or what they mean or why they are necessary. Using the information from the first half of your reply, I got up to step 3, but I am unsure of how to tell if Xming is running because when I double click the shortcut, nothing happens. There is a shortcut for xming and xlaunch, and I don’t know the difference. I believe root should already be installed and extracted according to step 4, but running the command source root/bin/thisroot.sh does not work and says “no such file or directory”.

You need to run Xlaunch. I don’t use Xming, but Vcxsrv, as you can see in the second link (read both to the end before you try stuff, to see everything you need to configure); I added some comments and a screenshot of the Xlaunch configuration, but for WSL1 (I suppose you are not using WSL2, but check!) you can probably just accept the default settings.