Sqrt() symbol not showing properly in ROOT 6.04/00

Dear all,

I have installed ROOT 6.04/00 in my laptop and tried the following set of commands in CINT (compiling it and linking against ROOT results in the same problem):

TCanvas c;
TLatex l;
l.SetNDC();
l.DrawLatex(0.5, 0.5, “#sqrt{s}”);
c.SaveAs(“test.pdf”);

I attach the file test.pdf, where you can see that the sqrt symbol is not displayed properly. This works fine on 6.02/12 on lxplus, where the full sqrt symbol is shown.

Perhaps there was a regression in this ROOT version? Or maybe I just compiled this ROOT version incorrectly?

Cheers,
Danilo
test.pdf (12.2 KB)

Hi Danilo,

Could it be related to [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-sqrt-style-in-latex/18010/4 post[/url]?

Cheers, Bertrand.

Dear Bertrand,

if I understood the post correctly, I can try using \sqrt{} instead of #sqrt{}, but trying that leads to most of the text disappearing in the PDF file. Furthermore, reading the post carefully, it says this is not implemented for PDF files and I need PDF files as I use transparency for some error bands (and transparency is not available in EPS files).

Furthermore, in all cases in that post the sqrt{} symbol is displayed (even if not nicely). In my case part of it is just not shown at all. Also, this behaviour seems to happen on 6.04, and it all works fine in 6.02, so it really seems like a bug. I don’t think it is the same issue as the symbol is always displayed in the post you mentioned and it is from before the date 6.04 was available.

Cheers,
Danilo

Hi Danilo,

OK, so I’ll let our graphics expert taking care of this (he’ll be back on Wednesday)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hello Bertrand,

thanks for that. I’m using 6.02/12 in the mean time and it works fine there, but it would be nice to switch to 6.04/00 when possible.
Let me know what the graphics expert says.

Best regards,
Danilo

Hi Danilo,

I am back now. I will check.

O.

Now fixed in 6.04 and trunk.