Significance

I try to perform the significance using an unbinned and reweigthed dataset taking a look to : root.cern.ch/viewvc/trunk/tutori … ificance.C but it doesn’t work.
I have also some problems to plot the profile-log-likelihood function.
Any suggestion?

Hi,

can you please post your macro so I can understand why it does not work for you a code like the one of the rs502 tutorial.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Here in attachment there is the macro that I’m using.

Thanks

Hi,

can you post please also the TFile so I can try running your program. Looking at the code it looks fine to me. Which ROOT version are you using ?
They were some problem producing the likelihood plot with a version older than 5.26.

Cheers

Lorenzo

The TFile seems to be too big to attach it.
How can I do?
Anyway I’m using ROOT v.5.26

Can you not put the file in public afs or somewhere else where I can download it ?
Cheers

Lorenzo

Done :slight_smile:

Hi,
thanks for the file. I will investigate it. It could be a problem due to the fact you are using a weighted data set

Cheers

Lorenzo

yes I’m using it!

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I have found first a problem in RooFit in creating the NLL. The Profile Likelihood calculator uses the option CloneData ( in RooAbsPdf::createNLL) and it does not work for your specific data set. It is maybe related to the fact that is weighted. I have submitted a bug in RooFit for this. (see savannah.cern.ch/bugs/index.php?63997 )
With this fix (or by removing CloneData at the line 173 of roofit/roostats/src/ProfileLikelihoodCalculator.cxx) you should be able to get the plot and a significance value.

However, I think, since you are having a weighted data sets, the interval and significance returned by the ProfileLikelihood calculator are for the pseudo-likelihood, and not for the real likelihood. They could probably be corrected using the same approximation that is used in correcting the error matrix. But I am not sure of its validity in case of the significance.
Also, the approximation, I think is valid if the weights do not differ by a lot from 1. In your case, some of the wights are negative !

I would try to re-formulate the problem by using an standard unweighted likelihood fit.

Best Regards

Lorenzo

You are rigth, some of the weights are negative !
But we are using sPlot and this is the reason why we have negative weigths.
So I’m not sure that significance is correct and how I can do.