SetOption Method in TGraph/TGraphErrors

Hi,

When working with histograms I can call the method TH1::SetOption to fix the default option when the histogram are drawn. I wonder which method I can use to achieve the same purpose when using TGraph/TGraphError objects. I tried this:

TGraph *GetGraph(){

Int_t y[4] = {5,9,8,10};
  Int_t x[4] = {1,2,3,4};

TGraph *gr = new TGraph(4,x,y);
  gr->Draw("goff");
  gr->SetDrawOption("AB");
  //gr->SetOption("AB");

return gr;

}

TGraph *fgr = GetGraph();
fgr->Draw();

But it looks like I can’t use "goff" in this context and SetOption() is not available in TGraph,

Best,

goff does not exists for TGraph. All the possible option are documented
There no equivalent of the histogram method SetOption.

SetDrawOption works if you Draw() before calling SetDrawOption.

Thank you @couet, Is there any chance to implement SetOption on the TGraph Class? I’m not sure about how to implement your suggestion in this context (returning a pointer to a TGraph object). For instance Test.C (278 Bytes) produces a “Break Illegal construction message” I guess it is because I don’t have a TCanvas and I don’t want to create a canvas in the GetGraph function.

1 Like

I would second this.

2 Likes

I can have a look at it.

Seems to me SetDrawOption does what you need:

TGraph *GetGraph(){

Int_t y[4] = {5,9,8,10};
  Int_t x[4] = {1,2,3,4};

gr->Draw();
  gr->SetDrawOption("AB");

return gr;

}

void Test(){
   fgr->SetFillColor(kBlue);
   fgr->Print("AB.png");
}

I believe the point here is to avoid drawing the graph. You would like to have a generator function that creates the graph and sets the default draw options.

1 Like

So you would like something like that drawing a bar chart ???

TGraph *GetGraph(){

Int_t y[4] = {5,9,8,10};
  Int_t x[4] = {1,2,3,4};

gr->SetDrawOption("AB");

return gr;

}

void Test(){
   fgr->SetFillColor(kBlue);
   fgr->Draw();
}

Exactly. Right now you get a line graph.

Yes because calling Draw() without option means “use default option” . So if we do what you are looking for I am afraid some unwanted side effects may quickly show because the meaning of “not specifying the option” will change … So that change has to be checked carefully . May be you can open a Jira Ticket with it to not lose track ?

Just to clarify, we re trying to mimic the behavior for TH1 via TH1::SetOption with TGraph objects. You believe this will lead to unforeseen issues.

Yes I got that.

I think the default behavior should be looked closely to not break existing macros.
But surely something can be done … For instance if the default option set by SetDrawOption is not empty then we use it instead of the default option . I guess that should fulfil the requirement.

I opened a ticket: https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-9138

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.