Segmentation violation when visualizing events with Delphes

Hello,
I am now trying to visualize the events I generated with MG5+Pythia6 using
Delphes. I followed the instructions on the Delphes website tutorial but at the
event display step I encountered a Segmentation violation:

The lines below might hint at the cause of the crash.
If they do not help you then please submit a bug report at
root.cern.ch/bugs. Please post the ENTIRE stack trace
from above as an attachment in addition to anything else
that might help us fixing this issue.

#6 TAxis::Set (this=0x143fac0, nbins=, xbins=) at /home/administrator/Desktop/root/hist/hist/src/TAxis.cxx:734
#7 0x00007f31c2ea17f5 in TAxis::TAxis (this=0x143fac0, nbins=-1,
xbins=0x143fd10) at
/home/administrator/Desktop/root/hist/hist/src/TAxis.cxx:74
#8 0x00007f31bef02562 in Delphes3DGeometry::readFile(char const*, char
const*, char const*, char const*, char const*) () from
/home/administrator/Desktop/Delphes/delphes/./libDelphesDisplay.so

I am using ROOT5-34.36 and Delphes3 on Ubuntu16.04TCL. If you need further information, please let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Sebastian

What about contacting the Delphes support before contacting the ROOT one ?

Hello,

I’ve tried to contact the Delphes team weeks ago but I got no reply. So I think maybe it is time to turn to this forums to see if anyone can help.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Sebastian

The crash occurs in TAxis when no exquidistant bins are set. Line 734 (see trace back) is

fXmin      = fXbins.fArray[0];

It is difficult to tell what could be wrong at that point …
Do you have the control of the histogram booking or is it done by the Delphes software itself ?

Hello,

Yes histogram booking is done by the Delphes itself.

I’ve tried to run the codes on lxplus6, with the instructions from Delphes’s website:
cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/del … /QuickTour (for installation)
cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/del … als/Mc4Bsm (for visualization)

But I still encountered Segmentation violation, which made me more confused.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,
Sebastian

I guess the booking of the histogram depends on some parameter you pass to Delphes ? can you check their validity ?

Hello,

I checked the input files and it seems there was no probelm with them. And I noticed the crash point on lxplus6 was different:

The lines below might hint at the cause of the crash.
If they do not help you then please submit a bug report at
root.cern.ch/bugs. Please post the ENTIRE stack trace
from above as an attachment in addition to anything else
that might help us fixing this issue.

#5 0x00007fd2e1dd8494 in dirname () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#6 0x00007fd2ce175ca2 in ExRootConfReader::ReadFile(char const*, bool) () from /afs/cern.ch/user/x/xuyan/Delphes-3.3.3/libDelphesDisplay.so
#7 0x00007fd2ce2b7b84 in Delphes3DGeometry::readFile(char const*, char const*, char const*, char const*, char const*) () from /afs/cern.ch/user/x/xuyan/Delphes-3.3.3/libDelphesDisplay.so
#8 0x00007fd2e347f29c in EventDisplay(char const*, char const*, char const*, char const*, char const*, char const*, bool) ()
#9 0x00007fd2e347f085 in __cling_Un1Qu30(void*) ()
#10 0x00007fd2dedbcf08 in cling::Interpreter::RunFunction(clang::FunctionDecl const*, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#11 0x00007fd2dedc3189 in cling::Interpreter::EvaluateInternal(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&, cling::CompilationOptions, cling::Value*, cling::Transaction**) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#12 0x00007fd2dedc33af in cling::Interpreter::echo(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#13 0x00007fd2dee74989 in cling::MetaSema::actOnxCommand(llvm::StringRef, llvm::StringRef, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#14 0x00007fd2dee80749 in cling::MetaParser::isXCommand(cling::MetaSema::ActionResult&, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#15 0x00007fd2dee817de in cling::MetaParser::isCommand(cling::MetaSema::ActionResult&, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so
#16 0x00007fd2dee6e573 in cling::MetaProcessor::process(char const*, cling::Interpreter::CompilationResult&, cling::Value*) () from /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.06.00/x86_64-slc6-gcc49-opt/root/lib/libCling.so

thanks a lot.

All the best,
Sebastian

Ah yes that’s completely different !
Are you sure you program does not overwrite memory or something like that ?

Hello,

Well I do not think there is any problem with the memory…

Or, Could you kindly try to replicate my problem if it is convenient for your? I followed exactly what the tutorial said and I think maybe you can get more detailed information during the process.

Thanks a lot for your patient help !!!

Best,
Sebastian

Unfortunately I do not have Delphes software installed. I think, at that point, it is really up to the Delphes developpers to help you.

Hello,

OK, all the same thank you very much for your kind help.

Best regards,
Sebastian