Rpath & SIP issues on OSX

Hi,

I’m now running into an issue running root on OS X, which I did not have end of 2019.

My rootlogon.C compiles 2 simple root macros with handy functions

cout << "\t mySettings = " << gROOT->LoadMacro("${HOME}/mySettings.C+") << endl;
  cout << "\t myFuncs = "    << gROOT->LoadMacro("${HOME}/myFuncs.C+") << endl;

I’m now getting an error. More detail below [1]:

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libRIO.so

So the DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH gets removed.

From reading various Root forum post (eg: https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-dynamic-library-path/24305)
I’m understanding that I should not be having this issue since root is installed in my user area.

Of course I asked the ATLAS S&C folks. Attila recons that interactive ROOT calls the dictionary generator executable (rootcling) through some means that is controlled by SIP.
He was able to reproduce the issue I’m having with a simple script [2].

I disabled SIP (as a test… because I rather not).
But now I’m getting another error [3] when root tries to link

ld: cannot link directly with dylib/framework, your binary is not an allowed client of /Applications/Xcode.app/...

Any idea how to resolve this, preferably without having to disable SIP ?

Best,
-a

_ROOT Version: 6.16
Root (6.16/00): /Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBaseExternals/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/bin/root
_Platform: Catalina 10.15.2
_Compiler: cmake
_XCode: 11.2.1 + command line tools installed.
I had 11.3.1 but reverted back to 11.2.1 in case that was the issue.
_ATLAS installation: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/viewauth/AtlasProtected/AnalysisRelease
installed in /Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/

[1]
Before starting root:

echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
/Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBase/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/lib:/Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBaseExternals/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/lib:/build/x86_64-mac1014-clang110-opt/lib:/Users/anyes

Starting root:

Begin loading libs: 0=success; 1=already loaded; -1:failed
	 libMathMore  = 0
	 libPhysics   = 0
	 libMinuit    = 0
	 libMinuit2   = 0
	 libXmlParser = 0

DYLD set to:
dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libRIO.so
  Referenced from: /Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBaseExternals/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/bin/rootcling
  Reason: image not found
Error in <ACLiC>: Dictionary generation failed!
	 mySettings = -1

[2]
After creating a dummy.C file with some nonsensical code, I tried to load it with

root [0] : .L dummy.C+

, and got the same results as you. And this is not even on Catalina, but rather on Mojave. (The previous OS version.)

Yet, when I call

rootcling -f dummyDict.cxx dummy.C+

from the command line, that runs just fine. So the environment is set up correctly for the ROOT dictionary generation. But I guess interactive ROOT probably goes through something like the bash executable, which makes the rootcling executable not receive the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH settings anymore. :frowning:

[3]
With SIP disabled.

Starting root

1609 ttys001    0:00.54 root.exe -l
 1610 ttys001    0:00.02 sh -c ps | grep root.exe
 1612 ttys001    0:00.00 grep root.exe

Begin loading libs: 0=success; 1=already loaded; -1:failed
	 libMathMore  = 0
	 libPhysics   = 0
	 libMinuit    = 0
	 libMinuit2   = 0
	 libXmlParser = 0

DYLD set to: /Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBase/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/lib:/Users/anyes/ATLAS/Software/AnalysisBaseExternals/21.2.104/InstallArea/x86_64-mac1015-clang110-opt/lib:/build/x86_64-mac1014-clang110-opt/lib:/Users/anyes
ld: cannot link directly with dylib/framework, your binary is not an allowed client of /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib/libAudioToolboxUtility.tbd for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
Error in <ACLiC>: Compilation failed!
	 mySettings = -1
ld: cannot link directly with dylib/framework, your binary is not an allowed client of /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib/libAudioToolboxUtility.tbd for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
Error in <ACLiC>: Compilation failed!
	 myFuncs = -1
input_line_14:2:3: error: use of undeclared identifier 'createAtlasStyle'
 (createAtlasStyle())
  ^
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type cling::CompilationException: Error evaluating expression (createAtlasStyle())
Abort trap: 6

I guess @oshadura can help you.

@Axel do you know what could be wrong with 6.16 on Mac OS X?

Hi Anyes!

Good to hear from you again!

It would be good to hear what ... in your binary is not an allowed client of Applications/Xcode.app/... is.

If it’s libAudioToolboxUtility.tbd or any other ,tbd, his got fixed for 6.18 and (the about to be released) 6.20. Can you upgrade to 6.18?

Cheers, Axel.

Hi Alex,

I installed anaconda with root 6.18 following instructions here [1]

With that version, it works as usual and I have no issues compiling a simple script within root and I don’t need to have SIP disable.

I’ll get back to the ATLAS folks so we can have a release with this root version on Mac, and hopefully that solve everything.

Thank you all for you responses.
Best,
-a

[1]
https://iscinumpy.gitlab.io/post/root-conda/

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.