Root installation in ubuntu 22.04

I have Ubuntu version 22.04 and have downloaded root from the cern website using the commands, and getting the following error message:

ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!
Invoking:
  LC_ALL=C x86_64-linux-gnu-g++-9   -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 | sed -n -e '/^.include/,${' -e '/^ \/.*++/p' -e '}'
Results was:
With exit code 0
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
  | Welcome to ROOT 6.24/02                        https://root.cern |
  | (c) 1995-2021, The ROOT Team; conception: R. Brun, F. Rademakers |
  | Built for linuxx8664gcc on Jun 28 2021, 09:28:51                 |
  | From tags/v6-24-02@v6-24-02                                      |
  | With                                                             |
  | Try '.help', '.demo', '.license', '.credits', '.quit'/'.q'       |
   ------------------------------------------------------------------

please help!

Welcome to the ROOT forum.

Which commands are you talking about ?

$ wget https://root.cern/download/root_v6.24.02.Linux-ubuntu20-x86_64-gcc9.3.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf root_v6.24.02.Linux-ubuntu20-x86_64-gcc9.3.tar.gz
$ source root/bin/thisroot.sh # also available: thisroot.{csh,fish,bat}

It sounds correct.
As you get a Cling error may be @axel will have an idea.

That binary, as the name also suggests, was compiled for Ubuntu 20.04 with gcc9.3, not for Ubuntu 22.04 (which I believe comes with gcc11). Although the 20.04 version of ROOT still works with Ubuntu 21.10 (which I think has gcc10), it apparently doesn’t work with 22.04, from what you see. In that case you may want to compile ROOT yourself, or wait until there is an appropriate binary.

1 Like

Can you please suggest a way to run these commands for ubuntu 22.04 to get rid of these error messages I am getting?

You’re using ubuntu 22.04, but you downloaded the 20.04 binaries. We need to get 22.04 packages set up! I’ll be back…

Besides compiling from source you can also use a Snap or Conda installation, see Installing ROOT - ROOT .

I downloaded from Snap, but could not compile it with Pythia as it asked to build root from the source.

I am not sure I understand, the Snap package does not require a compilation step, just a sudo snap install root-framework.

You mean that the Snap package does not include Pythia and you need that to compile your code?

Yes, that is exactly what i mean. Please help. I am starting with the project.

The conda package comes with pythia8 support. The last resort is installing ROOT from source, in which case you have full control of the features present.

Cheers,
Enrico

Please help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.