ROOT Installation Error in MacOS Sierra

Please provide the following information:

ROOT Version (e.g. 6.12/02): root-6.10.02
Platform, compiler (e.g. CentOS 7.3, gcc6.2): MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.04)

I am trying to install ROOT (version 6.10.02) in my new MacOS High Sierra (version 10.13.04) but I am facing “LZMA error”. Here is the complete detail of error.

[ 51%] Built target G__Core
[ 51%] Performing configure step for ‘LZMA’
CMake Error at /Users/aliusman/myprograms/root/LZMA-prefix/src/LZMA-stamp/LZMA-configure-RelWithDebInfo.cmake:16 (message):
Command failed: 1

‘/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root/LZMA-prefix/src/LZMA/configure’ ‘–prefix’ ‘/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root’ ‘–libdir’ ‘/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root/lib’ ‘–with-pic’ ‘–disable-shared’ ‘–quiet’ ‘CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc’ ‘CXX=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/c++’ ‘CFLAGS=-Wno-format-nonliteral’ ‘LDFLAGS=-Qunused-arguments’

See also

/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root/LZMA-prefix/src/LZMA-stamp/LZMA-configure-*.log

make[2]: *** [LZMA-prefix/src/LZMA-stamp/LZMA-configure] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/LZMA.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Kindly guide me.

Regards,

Ali Usman

21h
i was trying to run a .py file in lumicurrents2018 directory, but i found this error in running the script
[rwaheed@lxplus018 lumicurrents2018]$ ls
currVsLum_v3.py runnumber_WM2_S04_RB4p.csv runnumber_WP2_S04_RB4m.csv
runnumber_WM2_S04_RB4m.csv runnumber_WM2_S04_RB4_plus.csv runnumber_WP2_S04_RB4p.csv
runnumber_WM2_S04_RB4_minusminus.csv runnumber_WM2_S04_RB4_plusplus.csv
[rwaheed@lxplus018 lumicurrents2018]$ python currVsLum_v3.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “currVsLum_v3.py”, line 3, in
from ROOT import * #TFile, TGraph, TMultiGraph, TLegend, TCanvas, TAxis, gStyle, TLatex, TH1D
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘ROOT’
[rwaheed@lxplus018 lumicurrents2018]$

can anybody help me out with this??

Do you have LZMA installed on your Mac? If not, do you have network when building ROOT? It will need to download LZMA to use internally.

Can you share the errors inside the file(s)

The “LZMA” error is been resolved by installing command line tools but now I am facing another error.

[ 70%] Building CXX object core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/src/TCling.cxx.o
/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root-6.10.02/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1064:19: error:
call to constructor of ‘std::string’ (aka ‘basic_string<char,
char_traits, allocator >’) is ambiguous
std::string interpInclude(TROOT::GetEtcDir());
^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:775:31: note:
candidate constructor
_LIBCPP_INLINE_VISIBILITY basic_string(const _CharT* __s);
^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:797:5: note:
candidate constructor
basic_string(__self_view __sv);
^
/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root-6.10.02/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1073:34: error:
ambiguous conversion for functional-style cast from ‘TString’ to
‘std::string’ (aka ‘basic_string<char, char_traits, allocator
>’)
clingArgsStorage.push_back(std::string("-I" + TROOT::GetIncludeDir()));
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:775:31: note:
candidate constructor
^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:797:5: note:
candidate constructor
^
2 errors generated.
make[2]: *** [core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/src/TCling.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/all] Error 2

Kindly guide me regarding this error.

Thanks

Ali

Hi, you actually need a full XCode installation to be able to build ROOT. Do you have that?

I recently updated XCode but I am not sure whether I have a full XCode installation or not.

is there any command for checking this?

When you update Xcode it is always a good idea to (after the update) issue the command:

xcode-select --install

I have tried this command. It says “command line tools already installed”

i am still waiting for solution.

Can anybody suggest me a working solution to my issue?

With the information provided it’s difficult to say what the problem is. Please attach the output of your call to cmake as well as the file CMakeCache.txt it generates. You are probably missing dependencies that ROOT needs.

Here is the complete error which I am facing right now. Also I have uploaded the “CmakeCache.txt” file.

Looking forward to your reply.

[ 70%] Building CXX object core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/src/TCling.cxx.o
/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root-6.10.02/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1064:19: error: call to constructor of 'std::string' (aka 'basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >') is ambiguous
      std::string interpInclude(TROOT::GetEtcDir());
                  ^             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:775:31: note: candidate constructor
                              ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:797:5: note: candidate constructor
    ^
/Users/aliusman/myprograms/root-6.10.02/core/metacling/src/TCling.cxx:1073:34: error: ambiguous conversion for functional-style cast from 'TString' to 'std::string'
      (aka 'basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >')
      clingArgsStorage.push_back(std::string("-I" + TROOT::GetIncludeDir()));
                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:775:31: note: candidate constructor
                              ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:797:5: note: candidate constructor
    ^
2 errors generated.
make[2]: *** [core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/src/TCling.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [core/metacling/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/all] Error 2

CMakeCache.txt (106.9 KB)

Please try v6.12/06 and make sure to start the build in a fresh directory.

I have successfully installed root v6.12.06.

One last question

I want to permanently add “source bin/thisroot.sh” in my bashrc file but I am unable to locate “bashrc” file in my Mac.

Can you guide where this file is located?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.