ROOT build failed for v6.14.06

_ROOT Version: 6.14.06
Platform: Scientific Linux release 7.5 (Nitrogen)
Compiler: GCC

I am trying to get ROOT installed on a scientific cluster. I go through the usual procedure. Configure works fine, but CMake of the build fails at 95%. Here’s what I get:

[ 95%] Built target root
Scanning dependencies of target hsimple
[ 95%] Generating tutorials/hsimple.root
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Possible C++ standard library mismatch, compiled with __GLIBCXX__ '20150623'
  Extraction of runtime standard library version was: '20190222'
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN5cling10printValueB5cxx11EPKb' unresolved while linking symbol 'atexit'!
You are probably missing the definition of cling::printValue[abi:cxx11](bool const*)
Maybe you need to load the corresponding shared library?
atexit not defined
cling::DynamicLibraryManager::loadLibrary(): /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install/lib/libtbb.so.2)

Processing hsimple.C...
cling::DynamicLibraryManager::loadLibrary(): /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install/lib/libtbb.so.2)
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libTree.so for TNtuple.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libHist.so for TH2.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libHist.so for TProfile.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libGpad.so for TCanvas.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libGraf.so for TFrame.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libMathCore.so for TRandom3.h
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TRandom6RannorERfS0_' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom::Rannor(float&, float&)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4TH1FC1EPKcS1_idd' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TH1F::TH1F(char const*, char const*, int, double, double)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom3D1Ev' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::~TRandom3()
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TCanvasC1EPKcS1_iiii' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TCanvas::TCanvas(char const*, char const*, int, int, int, int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TNtupleC1EPKcS1_S1_i' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TNtuple::TNtuple(char const*, char const*, char const*, int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4TH2FC1EPKcS1_iddidd' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TH2F::TH2F(char const*, char const*, int, double, double, int, double, double)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom3C1Ej' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::TRandom3(unsigned int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TProfileC1EPKcS1_iddddS1_' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TProfile::TProfile(char const*, char const*, int, double, double, double, double, char const*)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom34RndmEv' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::Rndm()
gmake[2]: *** [tutorials/hsimple.root] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/hsimple.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

How can I fix this problem?

The first error looks like an old version of a root library has been loaded, which was compiled with a gcc from 2015. Could it be that an old installation is lingering around on the system?

Which gcc version are you compiling with?

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.

I’m building root into a directory I specify, which was created only for this build. Plus, there was no other ROOT system anyway before the installation.

The GCC version on my system is gcc (GCC) 8.3.0. In addition I might add that the CMake version is 3.14.4.

Thanks.

Ok, thanks for the infos. I invite @amadio or @Axel to help here.

The compiler use to build ROOT was newer than the compiler found when running ROOT. That doesn’t work, for any C++ program.

Now the curious thing is that this happens during the build! Could you share your CMakeCache.txt?

The CMakeCache.txt file is attached. CMakeCache.txt (133.0 KB)

Also, about the C++ compiler version issue you mentioned, which compiler do I need to upgrade?

You seem to have two ROOT builds, one at /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install and the other at /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-6.14.06/?

Don’t upgrade your compiler - I’m just trying to figure out what’s special in your environment that causes the build to fail.

Can you send the output of the following commands:

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
echo $PATH
which root
root.exe -l -b -q

I don’t really have any root builds at the moment. The one in folder /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-6.14.06/ is simply the untarred root directory. My preferred build directory is /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install.

The output of the commands is pasted below (clearly showing that I have no root build):

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan->echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/gpfs0/kats/projects/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:/storage/intel/lib/intel64:/storage/SGE6U8/lib/lx24-amd64:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64:/storage/openmpi_1.5/lib:/usr/lib64/lam/lib:/fastspace/projects/sivan/COMSOL5.2a/comsol52a/multiphysics/lib/glnxa64:/opt/lumerical/fdtd/lib:/fastspace/projects/tamyr/fsl/lib:/fastspace/projects/ymiller/lib64

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan->echo $PATH

/gpfs0/kats/projects/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/storage/SGE6U8/bin/lx24-amd64:/storage/intel/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/openwin/bin/xview:/fastspace/matlab/bin:/storage/LOQO:/usr/licenses:/storage/openmpi_1.5/bin:/storage/Wolfram/Mathematica/10.0.2/Executables:/usr/lib64/lam/bin:/storage/scripts:/gpfs0/fluent/projects/Ansys19/v190/fluent/bin:/usr/bin/AMPL/linux64:/fastspace/projects/sivan/COMSOL5.3/comsol53/multiphysics/bin:/opt/lumerical/fdtd/bin:/fastspace/projects/tamyr/fsl/bin:/fastspace/projects/ymiller/bin:.

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan->which root

root: Command not found.

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan-&gt;root.exe -l -b -q

root.exe: Command not found.

Which tar file did you untar? Could you give the exact file name of the tar.gz file?

The root source: root_v6.14.06.source.tar.gz

My file structure is this:
root-6.14.06 is the name of the directory created after untarring the source. I created a separate directory called root-install outside of the untarred root directory. I wanted to install root in this directory. I used the following commands to do this:

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install->cmake /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-6.14.06
bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install->cmake --build .

Sounds perfect!

Can you delete the build directory and re-run these steps? Somewhere something must have gone wrong - I cannot imagine how this can fail unless there were some stale build products in the build directory…

Will do! Posting after the CMake.

1 Like

I deleted both my root-install folder and the untarring folder, downloaded a fresh source file, untarred it and followed the same procedure as I had done earlier. And I come up with the same error as last time.

Scanning dependencies of target hsimple
[ 95%] Generating tutorials/hsimple.root
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Possible C++ standard library mismatch, compiled with __GLIBCXX__ '20150623'
  Extraction of runtime standard library version was: '20190222'
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN5cling10printValueB5cxx11EPKb' unresolved while linking symbol 'atexit'!
You are probably missing the definition of cling::printValue[abi:cxx11](bool const*)
atexit not defined
cling::DynamicLibraryManager::loadLibrary(): /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-build/lib/libtbb.so.2)

Processing hsimple.C...
cling::DynamicLibraryManager::loadLibrary(): /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-build/lib/libtbb.so.2)
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libTree.so for TNtuple.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libHist.so for TH2.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libHist.so for TProfile.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libGpad.so for TCanvas.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libGraf.so for TFrame.h
Error in <TInterpreter::TCling::AutoLoad>: failure loading library libMathCore.so for TRandom3.h
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TRandom6RannorERfS0_' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom::Rannor(float&, float&)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4TH1FC1EPKcS1_idd' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TH1F::TH1F(char const*, char const*, int, double, double)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom3D1Ev' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::~TRandom3()
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TCanvasC1EPKcS1_iiii' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TCanvas::TCanvas(char const*, char const*, int, int, int, int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN7TNtupleC1EPKcS1_S1_i' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TNtuple::TNtuple(char const*, char const*, char const*, int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN4TH2FC1EPKcS1_iddidd' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TH2F::TH2F(char const*, char const*, int, double, double, int, double, double)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom3C1Ej' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::TRandom3(unsigned int)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TProfileC1EPKcS1_iddddS1_' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TProfile::TProfile(char const*, char const*, int, double, double, double, double, char const*)
IncrementalExecutor::executeFunction: symbol '_ZN8TRandom34RndmEv' unresolved while linking [cling interface function]!
You are probably missing the definition of TRandom3::Rndm()
gmake[2]: *** [tutorials/hsimple.root] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/hsimple.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

OK this is absurd :slight_smile:

I see two problems; they might be related: wrong libstdc++.so and wrong C++ standard. Can you attach TBB-prefix/src/TBB-stamp/TBB-build-RelWithDebInfo.cmake? Do you have a custom compiler?

Can you put the following code into testme.cxx:

#include <vector>
#include <string>
std::vector<std::string> v;
int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
  v.push_back(argv[0]);
  return v.size() - 1;
}

Then run:

/usr/bin/c++ -o testme testme.cxx
./testme

Does that work?

The requested file is here: TBB-build-RelWithDebInfo_cmake.txt (2.0 KB)

(Please note: I had to change the extension of the file because I cannot upload a .cmake over here.)

The code snippet you sent compiles and runs smoothly, but doesn’t produce an output.

Additionally, when I tried to install ROOT v6.14.00, the build of that failed as well. It wasn’t at 95% and with the same error messages. Is this a problem with the platform I’m using?

Sorry, I’m out of ideas, I have never seen anything like that. Maybe you have the environment variable $CXXFLAGS set? This is really, really unique and weird. @pcanal maybe you have a hint?

@Debjyoti my best workaround for now is that you simply download a binary release. You can simply take https://root.cern/download/root_v6.16.00.Linux-centos7-x86_64-gcc4.8.tar.gz

Do I build it in the usual way?

Since it is a ‘binary’ release you ‘just’ need to install it, no need to build it.

To debug your original issue can provide the output of

echo $ROOTSYS
ldd `$ROOTSYS/bin/root.exe`
ldd `$ROOTSYS/lib/libCling.so`
ldd `$ROOTSYS/lib/libCore.so`
which gcc