ROOT build failed for v6.14.06

ROOTSYS is undefined. The last line yields

/gpfs0/kats/projects/bin/gcc

And for installing the binary, do I simply do make install? (Sorry, I have never installed a binary before.)

Unpack the tar.gz file and then, in each terminal in which you want to run root, execute ā€œsource /where/you/unpacked/root/bin/thisroot.shā€.

I think you are mixing incompatible compilers.
Try:

/bin/cc --version
cc --version
gcc --version
/bin/c++ --version
c++ --version
g++ --version

Thank you for the instruction regarding the binary file.

About the codes:
/bin/cc --version gives
cc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28)

cc --version gives
cc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28)

gcc --version gives
gcc (GCC) 8.3.0

bin/c++ --version gives
c++ (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28)

c++ --version gives
c++ (GCC) 8.3.0

g++ --version gives
g++ (GCC) 8.3.0

This compared to:

cling::DynamicLibraryManager::loadLibrary(): /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan/root-install/lib/libtbb.so.2)

is your problem.

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/gpfs0/kats/projects/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:/storage/intel/lib/intel64:/storage/SGE6U8/lib/lx24-amd64:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64:/storage/openmpi_1.5/lib:/usr/lib64/lam/lib:/fastspace/projects/sivan/COMSOL5.2a/comsol52a/multiphysics/lib/glnxa64:/opt/lumerical/fdtd/lib:/fastspace/projects/tamyr/fsl/lib:/fastspace/projects/ymiller/lib64

This is missing early on something ā€˜likeā€™ /gpfs0/kats/projects/lib64

Cheers,
Philippe.

Hello Philippe,
Thanks for your reply. Iā€™ll be honest and admit that I still donā€™t understand the problem. Youā€™re probably hinting at a version mismatch or a missing library file, but Iā€™m not sure. Can you please tell me how to solve this problem?
Thanks.

You have 2 compilers installed one in /gpfs0/kats/projects/ and one in /usr.
Your LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not contain the directory for the compilerā€™s 64 bits library and thus it uses the one in /usr ā€¦ and thatā€™s the mismatch.

Prefix your LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /gpfs0/kats/projects/lib64 (assuming that directory exists).

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out. Iā€™ll try and sort out the problem.

Hello,
Iā€™m sorry to revive this thread but it seems that the problem still remains. I am wondering if Iā€™m doing something wrong. The build fails at exactly the same place - 95% with the same error messages.

I have changed my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now echo simply yields the following:

bardhan@sge212:/fastspace/projects/kats/Bardhan->echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/gpsf0/kats/projects/lib64

What am I further missing here?
Thanks.

humm ā€¦ if with LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains /gpfs0/kats/projects/lib64 and you still gets error message indicating that /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 is used then I probably guessed wrong where the 64bits library for your compiler custom install.

One strange is that you CMakeCache.txt claims you are using /bin/c++ as your C++ compiler.

So I am completely confused on which compiler is supposed to be used, by what and if it was been used consistently for all the packages used.

Hi,
I also tried to install ROOT as per usual procedure. In my case error is as below:

[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TDialogCanvas.cxx.o
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/libASImage.so] Error 1
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TGroupButton.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TInspectCanvas.cxx.o
make[1]: *** [graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobsā€¦
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TPad.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TPadPainter.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TPaveClass.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TRatioPlot.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TSlider.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TSliderBox.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TView.cxx.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object graf2d/gpad/CMakeFiles/Gpad.dir/src/TViewer3DPad.cxx.o
[ 87%] Linking CXX shared library ā€¦/ā€¦/lib/libGpad.so
[ 87%] Built target Gpad
make: *** [all] Error 2

Please help!!!

Root version : 6.14.06
Platform: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.