ROOT 6 for Windows?

Have you tried the Linux Subsystem for Windows (Install Guide)? I’d be curious to hear how that works with ROOT. (You’ll probably still need a X11 Server such as Xming.)

The Linux subsystem is known to work with ROOT. But this is fairly unrelated to the missing download entry :wink:

2 Likes

Any news on ROOT 6 for Windows?

1 Like

Still working on it…

You can use ROOT 6 in a docker container in windows (graphics included with a bit of additional configuration), just see ROOT’s release/download page (can’t remember which).

It’s not the same as native binaries but it’s something :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does not help us - we use ROOT inside a custom application - mainly due to its TGeoManager for 3D navigation during particle and optical photon tracking. Now we are limited to ROOT5, but its getting more and more difficult to stay there. We really need ROOT6 and 64bits…

4 Likes

FYI, ROOT 6 on Windows 64bit is two steps: we are working on getting ROOT 6 on Windows 32bit first. Once that’s done, we’ll see how to port to 64bit.

2 Likes

Dear Bertrand, any news? :roll_eyes:

Hi Vladislav,

Yes, ROOT 6 now compiles on Windows, but it is still not fully working. I have good hope to make the master working on Windows (32 bit) before the end of the year

Cheers, Bertrand.

1 Like

Good news! :hugs:
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi everyone !

I tried to compile ROOT 6.12 on Windows 10 x64 using CMAKE (GUI) 3.10.1, mingw w64 7.2.0 and codeblocks 16.01.

First, I had an issue with GSL. It is not installed on my computer so I checked “buitin_gsl” and unchecked “mathmore” in CMAKE. When I pressed “configure” again, those options seemed not to be taken into account and I got an error.
I found an old pre-built version (1.8) of gsl for mingw32 and added the path in CMakeCache.txt, then CMAKE was able to generate the codeblocks project.

I tried to build the project with CodeBlocks. After a few seconds I got 3 errors :

[CMakeFiles\FREETYPE.dir\build.make|73|FREETYPE-prefix/src/FREETYPE-stamp/FREETYPE-install] Error 1|

[CMakeFiles\Makefile2|136|CMakeFiles/FREETYPE.dir/all] Error 2|

[D:\Documents\Third_party_Ressources\ROOT\root-6.12.04_MyBuild\Makefile|151|all] Error 2|

Am I doing something wrong ? Or it is due to the ROOT 6 incompatibility with Windows ?
I have not tried to build a ROOT 5 version yet.

Hi,

ROOT 6.12. doesn’t compile on Windows, only the master (and it is broken right now…)
And the only officially supported way is with Visual Studio 2017 and CMake (no Mingw).

Cheers, Bertrand.

thank you for your answer
Good luck with ROOT6 :wink:

Cheers, Guillaume

1 Like

Hello Bertrand!
Are there any news on Root6 for Win? Any chance we get it in the next version?
Andrey

Hi,

Well, you can already try it if you take git master (at least it compiles and run). But it is not fully functional yet. We hope (and target) to have it for the next ROOT release (near June)

Cheers, Bertrand.

1 Like

Also, depending on what you want to do, you could try, now, either uproot (Python) or rootio (Go) that are able to read ROOT files (on all major platforms)

Thanks Bertrand, great news!
Andrey

1 Like

I am excited about the release of ROOT 6 Windows version for Visual Studio 2015 and 2017.

Release 6.14/00 - 2018-06-13
https://root.cern.ch/content/release-61400

2 Likes

N.B. Only Visual Studio 2017 is supported