ROOT 6 for Windows?

Great news, Bertrand! What problems will I run into, if I would try to use Visual Studio 2015?

Great news! :slight_smile: But why it is called “preview” on the download side? Are there known issues?

I have installed the 6.14/00 windows version, and tried to compile our code. The following includes were not found:
Minuit2/Minuit2Minimizer.h
Math/GSLRndmEngines.h

libMinuit2 is also missing, so I thing Minuit2 was just not compiled.
Could you be so kind to add it (and the GSL libraries) to the binary?

Hi,

Well, I will try to add Minuit2, but for GSL, I will need some time to try (mathmore might not even compile on Windows…)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Minuit2 is important, but we will try to get rid of the GSL :slight_smile:
If Minuit2 compiles, can you provide a quick fix for the binary?

Yes.
And for GSL, the problem is that there is no distribution for Windows…
Edit: Note you can also build ROOT from source…

Great, thanks!
For the users of our package compiling root on windows is too much to ask.

Hi,

FYI, the ROOT 6.14.00 binaries for Windows have been re-generated and now contain Minuit2

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hello Bertrand,
We have managed to remove GSL, and I can see that Minuit2 now compiles, but there is a problem:
Our application is developed in Qt, and all versions of Qt for MSVC17 are 64 bits. So no go for us.

There are versions of 32 bit Qt for MSVC2015, so if you feel kind please provide root for 15 too. This is another example of the need for 64 bits we have discussed in another branch of this forum.
Thanks,
Andrey

Hi Andrey,

Sorry, but I can’t build with Visual Studio 2015. As I said, the minimum supported version is 2017 (and I don’t have any VS 2015 anymore anyway)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Interesting: VC Runtime in MSVC 2017 is binary compatible with 2015
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/03/07/binary-compatibility-and-pain-free-upgrade-why-moving-to-visual-studio-2017-is-almost-too-easy/
it seems Qt for MSVC15 32 bit should work. I will test.

Oh yes, I forgot this… Please let us know! :wink:

I have managed to do it! :grinning:
The trick is after installing Qt for msvc15 (32bits) change the settings to use compiler v 15.0 instead of the default v 14.0 (15.0 is the one from msvc2017). Then all compiles, root does not complain and I can start our package.

By the way, there is an annoying warning for libcpp_string_view.h line 193 (unknown pragma).

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback!

Then you should define _LIBCPP_HAS_NO_PRAGMA_SYSTEM_HEADER (you can add a compiler flag). I’ll try to fix it for the next release

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Andrey,

When do you se those errors?

Cheers, Bertrand

And please don’t post unrelated topics in the same thread, that makes difficult to communicate… And the only idea that comes to my mind is maybe different version of runtime DLLs between Qt and ROOT…

You are right, I will test more (cross-check with the equivalent Linux version) and if it is persistent, I will report in a separate thread.
Regards,
Andrey