ROOT 6.22.02 installation error: cannot find libvectorDict.so

Hello,

I am trying to install ROOT 6.22.02. The cmake compilation runs fine but right at the end I get this error:

CMake Error at core/clingutils/cmake_install.cmake:51 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot find "/usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.so": No
  such file or directory.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  core/cmake_install.cmake:70 (include)
  cmake_install.cmake:205 (include)

gmake: *** [Makefile:129: install] Error 1

Can somebody please guide me on how to resolve this error?

ROOT Version: 6.22.02
Platform: Ubuntu 19.10
Compiler: 9.3

Hi @uzair90,
can you please share the full output of the cmake configuration (including the command you use to configure the build) and also possibly some lines around/before the error message appears?

Also note that unless you have specific needs you don’t need to compile ROOT from source, there are several more painless installation methods listed at https://root.cern/install , e.g. you could install ROOT as a conda package.

Hope this helps!
Enrico

Hello @eguiraud,

I use this first command to configure:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/build_root /usr/local/root-6.22.02/ -Dminuit2=ON

And I use this to run the installation by the second command:

cmake --build . -- install -j4

I have attached the output of the two commands for your reference.

I saw the conda install option recently. I am not a python use so I was not aware of that. I use ROOT in conjunction with some other softwares/simulations. If I install ROOT from conda would I still have access to this environment variable: export ROOTSYS=/usr/local/build_root
command2_output.txt (960.1 KB)
command1_output.txt (11.9 KB)

Uhm sorry I cannot tell what the problem is, maybe @Axel or @oshadura have an idea.

As a workaround you can install via conda or also just use the pre-compiled binaries, see https://root.cern/install .

Cheers,
Enrico

Traditionally, /usr/local/ isn’t a user-writable directory, this should only be written to by the superuser (user root); as such you might want to build in your home directory as a regular user and then run sudo cmake --build . install -j4 after cmake --build . -j4 (without sudo).

That said: do you have /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.so? Your log says [ 77%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libvectorDict.so which should have created it. What does ls -l /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.so show?

Hell @Axel,

That is true. Traditionally /usr/local is not a user-writable directory. However, in my case I have made it as such so that I have full permissions to write in it as a user so that I do not have use sudo or su.

If I do ls -l /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.so there is no such file. However, I do find this file:

ls -l /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.rootmap -rw-rw-r-- 1 uzairlatif uzairlatif 427 Nov 10 12:49 /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.rootmap

I would like to add that I did find this other post for a user who had a similar problem: Error with libvectorDict.so

However, the binary pointed out there was for GCC 9.2 and I have GCC 9.3.

Super weird - CMake tells us that it built libvectorDict.so yet now it’s gone. What happens if you re-run cmake --build . -- install -j4? Say a couple of times? Does it state Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libvectorDict.so all the time? Do you ever see /usr/local/build_root/lib/libvectorDict.so being generated?

Hello @Axel ,

So when I re-ran the command: cmake --build . -- install -j4 three times and each time I got the same error with this message: [ 77%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libvectorDict.so .

libvectorDict.so is never generated. Let me know what else I can try.

I also made a mistake earlier in reporting what OS I have. I Ubuntu 20.04 LTS not 19.10.

OK that’s good - it’s a reproducible error! Please run cmake --build . -- vectorDict VERBOSE=1 > make.log 2>&1 and upload the file make.log. Thanks!

make.txt (241.0 KB)

I have attached the make.log file for your reference. I was not allowed to upload a file with *.log extension so I changed the extension to *.txt.

Thanks. CMake says it has created a file /usr/local/build_root/core/clingutils/../../lib/libvectorDict.so. If you ls -l that, what does that show?

Yes! The file is finally there when I do ls -l in the /lib folder.

-rwxrwxr-x 1 uzairlatif uzairlatif 144160 Nov 11 13:46 libvectorDict.so

So next time if it happens again should I just run the command: cmake --build . -- vectorDict to build the file?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hmm, well, that solves it for you but not for me - I still don’t understand why the file was removed after it got created. But okay, solve for you, and we will debug this once we see this on our machines!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.