ROOT 5.30 Installation in Maverick OS X

Hi, I am new to ROOT. I am trying to install older ROOT 5.30 in Maverick OS X as i am using something called MegaLIB and its only compatible with 5.30 . Since its Os X, its hard to find a concrete installation guide. Since i am also new to Mac, its really frustrating to get it installed. I can install the latest version just using Homebrew but thats not i need. So, things are getting hectic.

I Downloaded ROOT 5.30.6 and used cmake to install it only to get the following error. Don’t know what should i do?

[i]Astro8:~ Sam$ cmake /Users/Sam/root -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Users/Sam/root5.30-building
– The C compiler identification is AppleClang 6.0.0.6000054
– The CXX compiler identification is AppleClang 6.0.0.6000054
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– The Fortran compiler identification is GNU
– Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran
– Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran – works
– Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info
– Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info - done
– Checking whether /usr/local/bin/gfortran supports Fortran 90
– Checking whether /usr/local/bin/gfortran supports Fortran 90 – yes
– CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE: RelWithDebInfo
– Looking for include file pthread.h
– Looking for include file pthread.h - found
– Looking for pthread_create
– Looking for pthread_create - found
– Found Threads: TRUE
– Found a Mac OS X System 10.9
– Found a 64bit system
CMake Error at cmake/modules/SetUpMacOS.cmake:79 (MESSAGE):
There is no setup for this compiler up to now. Don’t know waht to do.
Stop cmake at this point.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/modules/CheckCompiler.cmake:47 (include)
CMakeLists.txt:24 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/Users/Sam/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
Astro8:~ Sam$ [/i]

I really have no idea what to do… PLEASE HELP!!!

I think at the time of 5.30, the “cmake way” of installing ROOT was not working yet. It was just a prototype.
For this version it is better to use the normal “configure + make” way in order to install ROOT.

[quote=“couet”]I think at the time of 5.30, the “cmake way” of installing ROOT was not working yet. It was just a prototype.
For this version it is better to use the normal “configure + make” way in order to install ROOT.[/quote]

So for this, i assume i follow the following code
cd root
./configure --help
./configure [] [set arch appropriately if no proper default]
(g)make [or, make -j n for n core machines]

Something that is not clear is more steps for novice like me. So i downloaded the root folder. Copied the folder to the folder reached by just typing ‘cd’ (return) in the terminal. then went to the root folder by ‘cd root’ and typed ‘./configure --help’ . what is ‘./configure []’ or more so what is ’ []’ ?

root.cern.ch/drupal/content/inst … oot-source
root.cern.ch/drupal/content/build-prerequisites

[quote=“tpochep”]http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/installing-root-source
root.cern.ch/drupal/content/build-prerequisites[/quote]

Oops it worked this time with just ./configure… don’t know how… however i ended up with an error . The error is following now when i run make after configure…

… lots of line before this
clang++ -O2 -m64 -pipe -W -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual -fsigned-char -fno-common -Iinclude -DG__REGEXP -DG__UNIX -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -DG__OSFDLL -DG__STD_EXCEPTION -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -I/Users/Sam/root/cint/cint/inc -I/Users/Sam/root/cint/cint/src -I/Users/Sam/root/cint/cint/src/dict -pthread -Icint/cint/lib/libstrm -Icint/cint/lib/stream -I. -o cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.o -c cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.cxx
In file included from cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.cxx:14:
In file included from /Users/Sam/root/cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.h:37:
cint/cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h:24:10: fatal error: ‘iostream.h’ file not found
#include <iostream.h>
^
1 error generated.
make: *** [cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.o] Error 1

[quote=“tpochep”][quote]
Note for MaxOsX 10.10 (Yosemite)

When installing ROOT from sources the XCode command line tools need to be re-installed with:

xcode-select --install
[/quote][/quote]

I am still using Maverick, do i still need to do this. Also when i issued the command i get the following error:
‘Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.’

[quote=“Mr_Wasteed”]I am still using Maverick, do i still need to do this. Also when i issued the command i get the following error:
‘Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.’[/quote]

Maverick or not, but you have to install XCode and Command Line Tools, the command quoted here should help you. Software Update Server’s errors are out of scope on this forum - (re)try again for example.

[quote=“tpochep”][quote=“Mr_Wasteed”]I am still using Maverick, do i still need to do this. Also when i issued the command i get the following error:
‘Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.’[/quote]

Maverick or not, but you have to install XCode and Command Line Tools, the command quoted here should help you. Software Update Server’s errors are out of scope on this forum - (re)try again for example.[/quote]

Hmm… I already have Xcode and i updated Xcode and the OSX command line tools from App-Store upgrade option. The command-line still gives me the same error. Is there a way i can download this and execute. I am totally lost as its been a week since i want to install this old version which is the ONLY compatible version with MEGALIB. It would have been so much easier if i could use home-brew for this. One thing i am having trouble understanding is why is there a problem in 5.30 to install and the latest version 5.34 installs easily without errors. I have seen the same error of “iostream.h file not found” error in multiple thread but none with the answer i can understand and that will work for me. I will just google more about it, since i am not getting anywhere here. Thanks anyways.

AFAIR there were quite a lot of changes while making ROOT to work on 10.9, and I guess they were done after the first 5.34 release (so the early 5.34 will also fail to compile). You can read git logs if you’re so interested in details and want to understand ‘why’.

And if you need 5.30 - cherry-pick all these modifications and try to build 5.30. May be it’s even possible to build 4.30 you’ve mentioned? Or even 3.xsomething ? Who knows?!