RooStat limits

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for my question:
I am using the ProfileLikelihoodCalculator class to compute an (“observed”) upper limit on the number of signal events, as function of a physical parameter (Higgs mass).
Using the sum of (Standard Model) background processes, I also compute an expected upper limit as function of the physical parameter.

What I would like to do now is to compute +/-1 and +/-2 sigma bands around the expected limit, in order to provide an estimate of how compatible a certain observed upper limit is with the expected value of the limit.

I am wondering if there is a recommended way to compute the +/-1 and +/-2 sigma bands ?

Thank you very much,

Christian

Hi,

you can get the expected limits by running Toy MC events and run the ProfileLikelihood on them.
We have an example of this in RooStats a s a tutorial, see
$ROOTSYS/tutorials/roostats/rs503_ProfileLikelihoodCalculator_averageLimit.C

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Dear all,

the tutorial mentioned in this thread seems to have disappeared.

$ROOTSYS/tutorials/roostats/rs503_ProfileLikelihoodCalculator_averageLimit.C

Is it not applicable anymore? It is a quite common problem and it would be good to have a tutorial about it.

Best regards,

Tanja

Hi Tanya,

the tutorial has been removed since quite some time. You can however still get it from

root.cern.ch/viewvc/trunk/tutori … hrev=31351

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

thank you for pointing me to the tutorial. What was the reason for removing this macro?

Best

Tanja

Hi,
the tutorial was sometimes crashing in old RooStats version. Now it should work, and we could probably re-introduce it an updated and improved version.

Lorenzo