RooFit memory increase per fitTo iteration

For some context, I would like to do up to 100M unbinned maximum likelihood fits on relatively small datasets. I saw a drastic memory increase as the program ran and I created a program which I thought reproduced this (RooFit for loop fitTo explodes in memory usage). I was using the wrong command to pull memory information but was told to use ProcInfo_t. Its a short program so I appended it here. So I ran this program with Root version 6.23 and 6.24.

I measured the average memory increase(KB) per iteration with various options included in the fitTo command shown below. I would also like to access the fitResults so I use Save and I can choose to delete that pointer later in these tests.

Root 6.23
No fitting - 0.1
Save, Minos, BatchMode, PrintLevel - 10.7
Save, Minos, BatchMode, PrintLevel + delete fitPtr - 2.72
Save, PrintLevel + delete fitPtr - 2.57

Root 6.24
No fitting - 0.1
Save, Minos, BatchMode, PrintLevel - 72.7
Save, Minos, BatchMode, PrintLevel + delete fitPtr - 63.53
Save, BatchMode + delete fitPtr - 21.2
Save, Minos + delete fitPtr - 0.312
Save, PrintLevel + delete fitPtr - 0.096

Clearly doing 10**8 fits is not really feasible. What can I do to reduce the memory usage and complete these fits as fast as possible? I would like to use BatchMode but it seems to consume a lot of memory and not release it. Minos seems to increase usage by a factor of 3 which grows significantly if using BatchMode. Is there a way I can release the memory after I am done with each iteration? If not I could always restart root…

Thanks for your time

#include "RooRealVar.h"
#include "RooGaussian.h"
#include "RooPlot.h"
#include "RooTrace.h"

void test() {
    RooTrace::active(kTRUE);
    RooTrace::mark();
    RooRealVar x("x","x",-10,10);
    RooDataSet d("d","d",RooArgSet(x));
    RooRealVar s("s","s",1,1,10);
    RooRealVar m("m","m",0,-10,10);
    RooGaussian g("gauss","gauss(x,m,s)",x,m,s);
    RooPlot *f=x.frame();

for (Int_t j=0; j<300; ++j){
        x.setVal(gRandom->Gaus(0,1));
        d.add(x);
    }

ProcInfo_t pinfo;
    int startMemResident;
    int endMemResident;
    int niters=1000;
    RooArgSet input=RooArgSet(x);
    for (Int_t i=0; i<niters; i++) {
        RooFitResult* roo_result = g.fitTo(d,RooFit::PrintLevel(-1),RooFit::Save(),RooFit::Minos(kTRUE),RooFit::BatchMode(true),RooFit::Save());//,RooFit::SumW2Error(true));//,RooFit::BatchMode(true));
        x.setVal(0);
        g.getVal(input);

gSystem->GetProcInfo(&pinfo);
         std::cout << i << "  memory usage " << pinfo.fMemResident << "  " << pinfo.fMemVirtual << std::endl;
         if (i==0)
             startMemResident=pinfo.fMemResident;
         if (i==(niters-1))
             endMemResident=pinfo.fMemResident;
         //delete roo_result;
     }

int deltaMem=endMemResident-startMemResident;
    double avgMem=(double)deltaMem/niters;
    cout << endl << "Memory increase = " << deltaMem << endl;
    cout << "Avg increase per iteration = " << avgMem << endl;
}

Maybe @jonas can help you on this

Hi @Ian13005, thanks for this report! Indeed, there was a memory leak in the batch mode that I fixed now in 6.24 and the 6.26 development branch (see PR #8142 and #8160).

Concerning the remaining memory increase, I have to investigate a bit more because it is related to the MemPoolForRooSets mechanism. What happens here is that there is a memory increase once in a while because a new memory pool arena is created. This is done to avoid reusing memory locations for RooArgSets, so we can be sure the memory address is like a unique ID.

However, when there are no pointers to a memory arena anymore it should free it’s memory, which doesn’t seem to happen for some reason. I will come back to you when I fully understand what’s going on, but rest assured these memory issues are worked on.

Cheers,
Jonas

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.