Rf105_funcbinding.py not working?

Hello,
Looking at https://github.com/clelange/roofit, I see that rf105_funcbinding.py isn’t working (tried it locally on lxplus and it isn’t indeed). Is there a chance to make it operational or at least to see how the Math::beta_pdf can be used in python?
I’m talking about this line:
beta = ROOT.RooFit.bindPdf("beta", ROOT.Math.beta_pdf, x2, a, b)
Thanks!
Noam

Hi,

The function ROOT.Math.beta_pdf should work in Python. The problem you are having is maybe due to calling ROOT.RooFit.bindPdf in PyROOT. Maybe @etejedor can help you on this

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hi,

function pointers are currently not supported.
We opened an issue on our bug tracker about this https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-9159

Best,
Danilo

Hi Lorenzo and Danilo,
Many Thanks for the super prompt response!
I guess there isn’t any quick and dirty workaround I can try in the meantime?
Cheers,
Noam

Hi Noam,

actually there is, passing through C++ and finding back the elements in Python:

# Bind one-dimensional ROOT.TMath.Erf function as ROOT.RooAbsReal function
    ROOT.gInterpreter.ProcessLine('auto x = RooRealVar("x", "x", -3, 3); auto myerf = RooFit::bindFunction("erf", TMath::Erf, x)')
    x = ROOT.x
    erf = ROOT.myerf

Could this unblock you?

Cheers,
D

Thanks Danilo, I think that should do the work
Cheers,
Noam

Hi Danilo,
Just to say that in order for this to work, one needs to explicitly load the RooFit lib:
import ROOT
from ROOT import *
ROOT.gSystem.Load("libRooFit")
ROOT.gInterpreter.ProcessLine(...)
and the rest is as you had above
Cheers,
Noam

Hi @dpiparo
Just one small question :grimacing:
How do I release the definition of x and myerrf from ROOT if this actually has to be done in a loop?
Sorry about the spam!
Noam

Thanks. What version are you using?

Hi Noam,

don’t worry: this is a valid question. What do you exactly mean? Are you having problems in redefining something in C++?

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

• I’m using RooFit v3.60
  • About the other question, I run this in a loop and the definitions done in the ProcessLine() call are staying across the loop, unlike the definitions done with everything that can be simply defined in pyROOT (e.g. y=RooRealVar(…)). At least, I think this is the case.
    The error I get is error: redefinition of 'x'... previous definition is here...
    So, I guess I will need to “unbind” x and myerrf somehow from ROOT in every iteration but I don’t know how.
    Cheers,
    Noam

Hi Noam,

thanks.
About point 1) what is the ROOT version?
About point 2) What about defining the x variable outside the loop?

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,
I’m using ROOT 6.08/06.
About defining the x variable once, that’s not an option since the range has to change in different iterations.
Is it possible to undefine/unbind it?
Cheers,
Noam

Hi Danilo,
I think I managed:

cpp = 'auto x = RooRealVar("x","",'+str(xmin)+','+str(xmax)+'); x.setBins('+str(nbins)+'); auto myerrf = RooFit::bindFunction("errf", TMath::Erf, x);' 
if(not isFirstIter): cpp = cpp.replace("auto","")
print "cpp:",cpp
ROOT.gInterpreter.ProcessLine(cpp)
response = ROOT.x
errf = ROOT.myerrf

Cheers,
Noam

Hi Noam,

I see: this would work. Thanks for sharing the solution. The name of the game is indeed to avoid idiosyncrasies which could pop up in the mix of Python and C++ such as redefinition of variables.
In order to reuse the same memory and avoid to reallocate a new RooRealVar at every iteration, you may want to use the RooRealVar methods setMin, setMax, setBins.

Cheers,
Danilo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.