Problem in typing characters in text input on macosx

Dear ROOTers,

since ever, I have problems in typing characters (like the #) or copying and pasting into the text input of ROOT (for example the visual editor of a canvas).

Now I’m on ROOT 5.34/36, compiled with --enable-cocoa

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Matteo

I just try with 5.34/37 on mac OSX 10.11.6 and I do not have a such issue.
Can you be more specific ? what is exactly for you “the visual editor of a canvas” ? or the “text input of ROOT” ?

[quote=“bozzochet”]Now I’m on ROOT 5.34/36, compiled with --enable-cocoa

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Matteo[/quote]

Cannot reproduce this problem. As for copying and pasting a text from any external editor - this is not supposed to work, ROOT’s X11-specific ‘clipboard’ implementation cannot work with native pasteboards on OS X and this problem is not Cocoa-specific, it will not work with XQuartz either.

I’m not able to type characters like “{”, “#”, etc… on the TAxis Title input, but is common to all the text input forms…

Sorry if I was not clear.

Matteo

Ah, sorry… I never noticed that I cannot even paste on the XQuartz terminal… Was always like this? Even when X11 was “built-in” on OsX? Because I almost sure that time ago I “workarounded” the problem of not being able to type, for example the #, by typing on the terminal (the OsX Terminal, not the X11/XQuartz one that I never used…) and then copying and paste on the ROOT GUI text input. The only “strange” thing that I remember is that to paste I cannot use Cmd+V (as usual on mac), but something like CTRL-Y (like Emacs, for example…).

I’m wrong?

Thanks,
Matteo

I do not have any problem typing these characters in all the ROOT versions I have on my Mac.

[quote=“bozzochet”]
I’m not albe to type characters like “{”, “#”, etc… on the TAxis Title input, but is common to all the text input forms…
Matteo[/quote]

As I said, I cannot reproduce this problem. I’m attaching a screenshot, done with 5.34 (but the same works for 6 also).

Ok, maybe I forgot one “ingredient”… I have an italian keyboard. If I switch to “english (US)” I can type without problem the “#”, the “{”, etc…

So my problem is with the characters on the right part. I’m able to type “?’^+*-_.:,;” ma no one of the others…

[quote=“bozzochet”]Ok, maybe I forgot one “ingredient”… I have an italian keyboard. If I switch to “english (US)” I can type without problem the “#”, the “{”, etc…

So my problem is with the characters on the right part. I’m able to type “?’^+*-_.:,;” ma no one of the others…[/quote]

Hmm, indeed, now I can see this. Not sure we’re supporting it at all on OS X, but will have to test with XQuartz first.

Tried this on Ubuntu with Italian text input - not working either, so probably not something we are fixing.

Strange I’m the first to “raise” this point…

Thanks anyhow,
Matteo

Hi,

Could you check your system locale and keyboard configuration, to be sure they match. I’ll try to set-up a virtual machine with different keyboards, but last time I tried, the Italian keyboard was working just fine (but I can’t try with Mac)…

Cheers, Bertrand.

root [2] bozzo@MacBook-Pro-di-Matteo-Duranti:ToySpectrometer> locale
LANG="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
bozzo@MacBook-Pro-di-Matteo-Duranti:ToySpectrometer> osascript -e 'user locale of (get system info)'
it_IT
bozzo@MacBook-Pro-di-Matteo-Duranti:ToySpectrometer> defaults read -g AppleLanguages
(
    it,
    en,
    el
)
bozzo@MacBook-Pro-di-Matteo-Duranti:ToySpectrometer> defaults read -g AppleLocale
it_IT

Did I check everything?

Thanks,
Matteo

Hi,

Yes, everything seems to be correct.
I tried, and it works as expected on a Linux Mint virtual machine, with Italian language and Italian keyboard (MacIntosh), see the attached screenshot. So it might well be a Mac issue (sorry I can’t try on Mac)

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,

Lixut Mint is wrong :smiley:

That keyboard is not italian: italian is QWERTY, not QZERTY and all the buttons on the right are not the one on an italin keyboard.

The italian one is the one I posted above

Thanks,
Matteo

Yep…

Unfortunately, for me, this now is Italian…

Thanks,
Matteo