On a MacOSX type # on a canvas using the toolbar and Latex

Hi,

I am using both the 5.34.18 and the 5.99/06 (3 April 2014) ROOT versions on my Mavericks Mac. It looks like I can no longer enter special characters using the Canvas’ toolbar editor, since if I want to type “#mu” for the corresponding Greek letter, I type as before “Alt+3mu” but it is now writing this as “3mu”. In other words it ignores the “Alt”… So I cannot enter any more Greek letters, apart from doing it in my script of course, rather then on the canvas after it is produced.

Can you reproduce this on a Mac, and if so, is there a fix to it?

Thank you,

Cristian

[quote=“cbungau”]Hi,

I am using both the 5.34.18 and the 5.99/06 (3 April 2014) ROOT versions on my Mavericks Mac. It looks like I can no longer enter special characters using the Canvas’ toolbar editor, since if I want to type “#mu” for the corresponding Greek letter, I type as before “Alt+3mu” but it is now writing this as “3mu”. In other words it ignores the “Alt”… So I cannot enter any more Greek letters, apart from doing it in my script of course, rather then on the canvas after it is produced.

Can you reproduce this on a Mac, and if so, is there a fix to it?

Thank you,

Cristian[/quote]

Hmm, just use shift + 3.
Shift is a standard key to switch to the upper case. Alt+3 gives me a “pound” character in any text editing application I have. And in keyboard handling routines I’m not treating Alt as a Shift while generating a key event for ROOT. And ‘Alt’ + ‘#’ is what I receive from Cocoa’s event loop.

Hi,

In my case, SHIFT+3 is not typing anything, not even 3 (not even £ for that matter)…

I will do it from script for the moment.

Thanks,

Cristian

[quote=“cbungau”]Hi,
I will do it from script for the moment.
Cristian[/quote]

It will be always like this: ROOT can not treat ‘Alt’ key as something else. ‘Shift’ is ‘Shift’.
I have built ROOT with X11 - Alt + 3 does not work and no settings in XQuartz can affect this, I have
‘3mu’. What kind of keyboard/layout do you have?

What kind of keyboard do you have ?
Swiss ?

It is a British wireless keyboard for iMac.

Ok … For the Alt transform key is not working like the ALtGR on windows for ROOT.
Even on the ROOT prompt you should not be able to type #

I think I was able to do it in the past - maybe I’m wrong.

Cristian

May be you where able to do it in the ugly interface on the canvas… But I guess you were not able to enter it in any GUI text field or on the ROOT prompt.

Well, ugly or not, the interface did the job. That’s what is really important. Now I can’t do it anymore.

The problem is more general. It was working by chance in that interface. You were not able to enter the # in a GUI text field anyway. This interface did not work properly: it was breaking the ROOT event loop and it was impossible to delete a character. So we cannot say it was doing the job.

Hello,

I see. Well, at least I found out why. Thank you for your replies.

Best wishes,

Cristian

I removed the “SOLVED” you checked because we have to investigate why, on Mac, Alt-ed characters are not visibles.

All right, thank you, I was hoping you will want to check, but I thought you will consider it a minor case for a particular keyboard. Please let me know if any fix comes up.

Thanks,

Cristian