Normalization issue with RooParametricStepFunction

Hi,
I am trying to use a RooParametricStepFunction to fit a simple 1d dataset, and I have what I believe is a normalization problem.

I set the allowed range for all of the n-1 bin value parameters to be (0.0, 1.0), but rather than being properly normalized, I find that the fit simply sends all of the parameters to the maximum value of 1.0.

I believe the problem is that the normalization condition for the RooParametricStepFunction is enforced by constraining the value of the last bin from the n-1 parameters. However, in the evaluation of the pdf value, negative values of the last bin are truncated to 0, whereas in the normalization, a negative value is assumed in case the sum of the rest of the distribution exceeds 1.

I think the proper solution is also to truncate the last bin value when doing the normalization integral. I fixed this for my part by changing the beginning of the analyticalIntegral function for RooParametricStepFunction to read:

Double_t lastbinval = lastBinValue();

if (!rangeName && lastbinval>=0) {
    return 1.0 ;
  }

Double_t xmin = _x.min(rangeName) ;
  Double_t xmax = _x.max(rangeName) ;

Double_t sum=0 ;
  Int_t i ;
  for (i=1 ; i<=_nBins ; i++) {
    Double_t binVal = (i<_nBins) ? (static_cast<RooRealVar*>(_coefList.at(i-1))->getVal()) : max(0.0,lastbinval) ;

And now my fit behaves as expected.

Thanks,
Josh