No Splash Screen

Hi,

I upgraded to 5.34/18 on Mavericks. Now when I start root at the command line I do not see the splash screen. I built form source using these instructions:

Location independent installation

You want to install in a generic directory, depending solely on environment variables PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Get the sources of the latest ROOT (see above)
Type the build commands:
cd root
./configure --help
./configure [] [set arch appropriately if no proper default]
(g)make [or, make -j n for n core machines]
Add bin/ to PATH and lib/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For the sh shell family do:
. bin/thisroot.sh
and for the csh shell family do:
source bin/thisroot.csh
Try running ROOT:
root

No problem for me on Mavericks. I see it…
Have you install XQuartz after the migration to Mavericks ?

Hi,

Yes I did install XQuartz. What was your build procedure? Could you indicate the exact commands so I can compare what I did?

Thanks.

Jon

./configure
make

[quote=“couet”]No problem for me on Mavericks. I see it…
Have you install XQuartz after the migration to Mavericks ?[/quote]

Olivier, it’s quite a strange advice to install an Xquartz just to see a splash screen, don’t you think so?
may be, try to investigate what’s wrong with 5.34.18? if it’s compiled with Cocoa enabled, this version already has rootxx-cocoa.mm and it should work.

Yes may be … I just thought of something which might have been wrong. Usually new users on Mavericks are missing XQuartz. You know better than me.

[quote]
Yes may be … I just thought of something which might have been wrong. Usually new users on Mavericks are missing XQuartz. You know better than me.[/quote]

I’ll investigate/fix the problem (if any) tomorrow.

Hi,

Does anyone have any updates on this? I have XQuartz installed.

Thanks.

-Jon

[quote=“jon2718”]Hi,

Thanks.

-Jon[/quote]

Hi, have you seen/read my previous reply? Or are you just posting without reading anything at all ?

Ok … meanwhile …
Can I reproduce the problem you’ve mentioned by just “git clone / switch to 5.34.18 tag/ configure / make -jN/
. bin/thisroot.sh” or do you use something else?

[quote=“jon2718”]Hi,

Thanks.

-Jon[/quote]

I can not reproduce the problem, splash screen works and it does not require XQuartz, since it’s not an X11-based application anymore. I need more details on how you’re installing ROOT etc. Also, can you, please, try something else (in a standard canvas) “Help”->“About ROOT …” - can you see the splash screen now?

Hi,

I tried with:

"git clone / switch to 5.34.18 tag/ configure / make -jN/
. bin/thisroot.sh"
as you suggested

Previously I didn’t do the . bin/thisroot.sh. I simply set the prefix variable in /configure --prefix=usr/local
I thought doing that would obviate the need to use this root or set any paths or the like???

However, I was using the other installation method that doesn’t require use of thisroot.sh - namely installing to /usr/local so that anyone using the machine could access root without setting anything. Is that incorrect? I don’t want to have to set paths. What is the correct way to do this without having to set paths or us . bin/thisroot.sh

Please advise.

Thank you.

JOn

[quote=“jon2718”]Hi,

I tried with:

"git clone / switch to 5.34.18 tag/ configure / make -jN/
. bin/thisroot.sh"
as you suggested
[/quote]

And? Do you see the splashscreen now? And if you do “help->About ROOT”?

Hi,

I did that and it worked. But I want to have it installed in /usr/local and not have to use this root. How do I get that to work?

-Jon

Ok, I see your problem now - I’ve tried with 5.34.18 and --prefix and there is neither splashscreen nor “Help->About” working.

This bug is fixed in ‘v5-34-00-patches’ and ‘master’ branches.