New TBrowser won't open a window

Hi everyone! I’m definitely a newbie. When I attempt to open a root file in a new TBrowser, I’m getting no new windows (and from what I know about the TBrowser argument, I should be getting the TBrowser in a new window/tab). I’m using a mac with these inputs:

$ root -l step1.root
…[1] new TBrowser

and then my computer just stares at me. Any advice would be very welcome! I have tried using xquartz for this as well to no avail.

Hey @Taylor_Carnahan, it looks like a problem with graphics.

It will be useful if you will describe your setup (OS, compiler and how did you build or installed ROOT).

I will ping here @linev @bellenot for additional ideas or help. Thanks!

No idea, but I’m not even a MacOS user (since I guess it’s on MacOS)

Hey, @oshadura, I’m not sure how to fix a graphics problem to be honest (I’m quite a newbie).

So, my setup is in using a macOS, and I used my terminal application in order to $brew install root. I also have xquartz running, which I thought might fix the issue. I can now open a TBrowser on my local computer (but not while I’m in the LPC); it’s very strange. But, when I do open a new TBrowser on my local computer, it crashes root. So many issues it seems. Thanks for your help!!

So let me summarize, so you have ROOT installed via Homebrew and TBrowser doesn’t work, while on your local computer it works? Which version of ROOT did you install via Homebrew?

Exactly @oshadura --the updated patch (we’re current).

What does gROOT->IsBatch() say in your ROOT that doesn’t show the TBrowser?

Is that on the same Macbook - depending on where it is it works or not?

Please share all the backtrace / error messages ROOT prints.

Yes, it’s on the same Macbook

Before I open a TBrowser in root, I have many errors that say Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm/reco/etcetera:: (etcetera). When I open a new TBrowser, and attempt to open a leaf, I get the spinny wheel of death and have to close Root.

it outputs a:
“(bool) true”
root [2]

Hi,

OK, so gROOT->IsBatch() returning true means that there is no X11 connection. Try xterm & when the TBrowser doesn’t show - I bet you also don’t see that. You probably forgot to use -Y when logging into the Linux machine with ssh?

I have many errors that say Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm/reco/etcetera:: (etcetera)

That is of course super relevant, else we would not print the error messages! Can you please share the exact error messages? Please copy & paste them.

Cheers, Axel.

1 Like

Here are a few of the errors (there are too many to paste) :confused:
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::ProcessConfiguration is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class pair<edm::Hash<1>,edm::ParameterSetBlob> is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class __pair_base<edm::Hash<1>,edm::ParameterSetBlob> is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::ParameterSetBlob is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::ProductRegistry is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class pairedm::BranchKey,edm::BranchDescription is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::BranchKey is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::BranchDescription is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::BranchID is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::Parentage is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::ThinnedAssociationsHelper is available
Warning in TClass::Init: no dictionary for class edm::BranchChildren is available

I tried the xterm &; here’s what the output was:

root [3] xterm &
ROOT_prompt_3:2:1: error: expected expression
;
^

That’s not to be tried at the ROOT prompt. It should be tried at the shell prompt. Axel asked you to try this to see if a generic X11 app (ie xterm) is working. So at the shell prompt:

$ xterm &

Sorry, @couet, for my lengthy break in response time! Thank you for your response. Yes, xterm & does indeed give me an xterm window, so it is working!

I’ve been using an scp command to get around this issue, so I can open things directly, but it’s getting cumbersome to say the least…

If I attempt a new TBrowser now in the root prompt, the window freezes and stares at me until giving the error:

Error in TGClient::TGClient: can’t open display “76.30.19.77:0.0”, switching to batch mode…
In case you run from a remote ssh session, reconnect with ssh -Y
(TBrowser *) 0x2c86bf0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have you tried to reconnect with ssh -Y ?

1 Like

Oh my word! It worked!! Thank you so much, @couet!! You’re amazing! I’m pretty excited…can’t tell you how much time I’ve been wasting on the roundabout way I’ve been doing this. Why do I need to connect this way? Should I just connect ssh -Y instead of ssh -xy in the future?

1 Like

man ssh tells you:

-Y Enables trusted X11 forwarding. Trusted X11 forwardings are not subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.