Move/resize TF2 plot and palette

Dear all,
I have a very simple macro to draw a T2F function; please find it in attachment. tf2.C
It produces a canvas which I save as a pdf and I attache as well. tf2.pdf
As you can see the palette is partially out of the canvas. I have tried using the mouse to resize
the T2F plot but it does not allow me to resize it or move it. Resizing the palette is a cumbersome
workaround. I have tried some methods of TCanvas to resize it but they do not work for me and plus I believe the thing to be resized is the canvas as it contains the palette as well.

Am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Marco Bomben

ROOT Version: 6.11/02
Platform: OS X
Compiler: Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.10.44.2)

Somewhere BEFORE the first “Draw” add: gPad->SetRightMargin(0.13);

{
  TF2* fff = new TF2("fff","5.5e+15*TMath::Gaus(x,-0.6,7.30,0)*TMath::Gaus(y,1.5,6.24,0)+9.0e+15*TMath::Gaus(x,-0.5,8.34,0)*TMath::Gaus(y,0.9,6.93,0)",-10,10,-8.4,8.4);
  fff->SetTitle(";X [mm]; Y[mm]; #Phi [n_{eq}/cm^{2}]");
  fff->Draw("colz");
  gPad->SetRightMargin(0.13);
}

1 Like

@couet How about you add gPad->Update(); right AFTER “Draw” in your example. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well in that particular it worked without for me. I ran this example as it is.

Thanks a lot you both!
Both solutions work for me, even without adding a ‘gPad->Update();’ after the ‘Draw’ in @couet example.

Thanks and regards,

Marco Bomben

My point was that “updating” the pad (between “Draw” and “SetRightMargin”) would immediately break Olivier’s example (call it a “feature”, not a “bug”). You should always set appropriate “margins” BEFORE you draw anything.

Yes and the example will become:

{
  auto *C = new TCanvas();
  TF2* fff = new TF2("fff","5.5e+15*TMath::Gaus(x,-0.6,7.30,0)*TMath::Gaus(y,1.5,6.24,0)+9.0e+15*TMath::Gaus(x,-0.5,8.34,0)*TMath::Gaus(y,0.9,6.93,0)",-10,10,-8.4,8.4);
  fff->SetTitle(";X [mm]; Y[mm]; #Phi [n_{eq}/cm^{2}]");
  C->SetRightMargin(0.13);
  fff->Draw("colz");
}

Thank you both again. I really appreciate this insight:

You should always set appropriate “margins” BEFORE you draw anything.

This topic can be closed now for what concerns me.
Regards,
Marco Bomben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.