Module files out of date (std.pcm, Darwin.pcm)

Dear ROOT team,

Similar to WSL Build from source error: RInt.pcm is out of date \ cannot read module signature - #20 by Neel_Shah (but apparently not similar enough according to @pcanal :wink: ) I am since recently getting the following error when I try to execute the root interpreter:

input_line_1:1:2: error: module 'Darwin' uses additional module map
      '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/_types.modulemap' used when the module was
      built
#include <new>
 ^
input_line_1:1:2: note: imported by module 'std' in '/Users/ahmadh/biodynamo/build/third_party/root/lib/std.pcm'
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Failed to extract C++ standard library version.
Warning in cling::IncrementalParser::CheckABICompatibility():
  Possible C++ standard library mismatch, compiled with _LIBCPP_ABI_VERSION '1'
  Extraction of runtime standard library version was: ''
input_line_2:1:2: fatal error: module file '/Users/ahmadh/biodynamo/build/third_party/root/lib/std.pcm' is out of date and needs to be rebuilt
#include "cling/Interpreter/RuntimeUniverse.h"
 ^
input_line_2:1:2: note: imported by module 'Cling_Runtime_Extra' in '/Users/ahmadh/biodynamo/build/third_party/root/lib/Cling_Runtime_Extra.pcm'
input_line_2:1:2: note: imported by module 'Cling_Runtime' in '/Users/ahmadh/biodynamo/build/third_party/root/lib/Cling_Runtime.pcm'
Replaced symbol atexit cannot be found in JIT!
Replaced symbol at_quick_exit cannot be found in JIT!
<<< cling interactive line includer >>>: fatal error: module file '/Users/ahmadh/biodynamo/build/third_party/root/lib/Darwin.pcm' is out of date and needs to be rebuilt

I have the feeling something with the standard C++ libs has changed on my machine, but I am not aware of any updates. Perhaps something changed in the background

I haven’t tried rebuilding ROOT with deleting the *.pcm files yet as suggested in the linked issue above, but it is strange to me that these PCM files got invalidated suddenly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ahmad

ROOT Version: v6.26
Platform: OSX 12.6
Compiler: AppleClang 14.0.0

Hi @ahesam ,

Indeed rebuilding ROOT from scratch (making sure there is no ROOT installation present in the environment when you do it) is what I would suggest.

@Axel or @vvassilev might be able to explain what can cause such errors in the first place, let’s ping them.

Cheers,
Enrico

P.S.
unless you have a specific reason to, you might not even have to compile ROOT from source, see Installing ROOT - ROOT .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.