Make PDF files from a root file

I am unfortunately stuck such that I cannot use the TBrowser feature of root because of a display problem. I would like to know how to take a root file and make pdf files of the histograms contained therein. I am somewhat of a beginner (ok, I am very much a beginner), and besides any advice about my problem any links to good root reference material for beginners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who take the time to help me, I really appreciate your effort.

Happy New Year :slight_smile:

If you have a canvas “C” just do:

C->Print(“c.pdf”);

I am quite new at this myself, and my experience so far is that most documentation assumes that you are fluent in objective programming and such…however, if you take a look at the examples that come with your ROOT installation you can learn a lot. You should run the different examples, and try changing things to really learn from it :slight_smile: I also think it is of great help to have a reference on c++ around, because ROOT and c++ have a lot in common.

Happy new year to you too!

An other way to learn about ROOT (in particular for the graphics output) is to execute a macro (there is many in $ROOTSYS/tutorials), modify the output interactively in the canvas (that is fairly intuitive) and save the result as a .C file via the “File” menu. Then you can have a look at the c++ code generated to see how the modification you did interactively can be done in C++.