macOS Sonoma - root 6.28.06: TBrowser window freezes upon opening when not in web mode

Hello,
I recently upgraded to macOS Sonoma. After recompiling root I run into a curious problem. If I run root with the web interface on, everything is fine. If I run with the option --web=off, I am unable to open a TBrowser (see attached image).

I can successfully open a graphical canvas with, for instance:
TF1 f1(“f1”,“sin(x)/x”,0.,10.); f1.Draw()
Then everything freezes if I run
TBrowser t
After closing the failed TBrowser window I get back the control of the first canvas.
After quitting root I get the following messages:
root.exe[33530:2781385] Fatal error: requested non-existing drawable 204
root.exe[33530:2781385] This window not found among allocated/deleted drawables

I would be grateful if anybody can point me towards a possible solution (maybe some configure options prior to compilation?).

_ROOT Version:_6.28/06
_Platform:_macosxarm64
_Compiler:_Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1)

This has been fixed in master with: Fix Cocoa GUI for MacOS14 and Clang15 by couet · Pull Request #13885 · root-project/root · GitHub
And back-ported in 6.28 with: [v6-28] Backport Cocoa by couet · Pull Request #14020 · root-project/root · GitHub

Dear Olivier,
Thanks for this!
I never dealt with root patches. If I understand correctly, I just need to get the latest stable release and implement the changes (just few lines) to the files
graf2d/cocoa/src/QuartzWindow.mm
graf2d/cocoa/src/ROOTOpenGLView.mm
graf2d/cocoa/src/TGCocoa.mm
as specified in the backport link.
Correct?

Thanks again,
Enrico

Yes, that means you start from sources ?

Dear Oliver,
I just compiled from sources with the patch and the problem is completely resolved.

After a new macOS installation I usually install root with homebrew (and let it install whatever python3 it requires) - this is very fast.
Alternatively, if I need a newer version of python3 or if I need to modify the code (as in this case) I compile from sources.
Is there a better way?

Best,
Enrico

1 Like

Great !

No that’s the right way.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.