Issues with the DataSetHelper in pyROOT (using only 1 variable for dataset)

Dear experts,
I am trying to use ROOT 6.26.04 and its new functionality for DataSet making with RDataFrame

My script looks as follow inside a python loop updating a dictionary.

##### various swaps mass and cut coupled
    helper = r.RooDataSetHelper(f"dataset_Kpi_{y}" , f"#mu ProbK>0.2, e #ProbK<0.2 , anti-PID B2emu {y}", r.RooArgSet( massKpi))
    Histos.update( { y :  {"kpi" : node_inverted_PID.Filter("muminus_MC15TuneV1_ProbNNk>0.2 && eplus_MC15TuneV1_ProbNNk<0.2")\
                           .Define("muminus_h", f"makeLVMass( muminus_PX, muminus_PY, muminus_PZ, {kMass})")\
                           .Define("eplus_h",   f"makeLVMass( eplus_PX, eplus_PY, eplus_PZ, {piMass})")\
                           .Define("emu_hh",     f"(eplus_h+muminus_h).Mag()")\
                           .Book( r.std.move(helper), "emu_hh")}})

I get the following message

File "/afs/cern.ch/work/r/rquaglia/PostDoc/B2EMu/vrd_b2emu_run2/B2HH_studies_over_B2emu/untitled.py", line 116, in <module>
    Histos.update( { y :  {"kpi" : node_inverted_PID.Filter("muminus_MC15TuneV1_ProbNNk>0.2 && eplus_MC15TuneV1_ProbNNk<0.2")\
TypeError: Template method resolution failed:
  Failed to instantiate "Book(RooAbsDataHelper<RooDataSet>&&,std::string)"

Do you have any suggestions?
Cheers
Renato

Hi @RENATO_QUAGLIANI!

Does it work if you put the column names in a tuple like this?

.Book( r.std.move(helper), ("emu_hh"))}})

At least that’s how it is done in the tutorial:
https://root.cern.ch/doc/master/rf408__RDataFrameToRooFit_8py.html

1 Like

Hi @jonas
I tried and same error.
I copied the tutorial and dropped one variable on the method and i see the same error.
Not sure if this mean that with >1 variable. all is good, but with only one it doesn’t work?
Cheers

not sure, but apparently with only one variable :

ROOT.std.move(ROOT.RooDataSetHelper("dataset", "Title of dataset", ROOT.RooArgSet(x))), ["x"]

this seems to work. Might be good to update the tutorial with a 1-variable case as well?

Actually I realized it was just a problem from ambiguous Python syntax. This would have worked I think:

.Book( r.std.move(helper), ("emu_hh", ))}})

With the comma in the tuple. This is necessary to tell Python that the type is a tuple, otherwise (“emu_hh”) will just evaluate to the string inside the brackets, which is the wrong type.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.