I want to calculate the gas gain for gem

Hello! I’m new user to Garfield++. Please tell me, I want to calculate the gas gain for gem, I have a couple of questions and clarifications.

1. To calculate the gas gain, I run the code that was given on the website (Examples/Gem/gem.C · master · garfield / garfieldpp · GitLab ), here the primary electrons are written as: nEvents, and the sum of the number of electrons formed in the avalanche using: std::cout " " total electron: " " netot " endl; ?

2. Then I need to change the voltage at the cathode and anode
    const double width = 2.;
    comp-> AddPlaneY(-width / 2, 0., “Cathode”);
    AddPlaneY(width / 2, 1000., “Anode”);
    comp->SetMagneticField(0.5, 0., 0);
    also on the gem plates above and below, in order to get the dependence of the gas gain on the voltage. Unfortunately, no matter how I change the values at the cathode and anode, the number of electrons does not change from this in any way, maybe I have an error in the code?

3. Do I understand correctly, in order to change the voltage on the gem top and bottom, also on the cathode and anode, I have to re-download the files from ansys and change the voltage there, or am I wrong?

I will be grateful for any help!

Welcome to the ROOT forum.

I guess @hschindl can help.

Hi,

1. Yes, you can calculate the gas gain by retrieving the avalanche size (GetAvalancheSize) for each “event” (i. e. primary electron) and filling a histogram. You could also calculate an “effective gain” by counting/histogramming the number of electrons that make it into the induction gap (for practical purposes you can limit the drift area to a few tens of micron below the lower metal).

2./3. If you are using a field map imported from a finite-element field solver, you need to re-run the field solver (e. g. Ansys) for each configuration of voltage settings that you want to simulate. AddPlaneY is a member function of ComponentAnalyticField (which is a class that you can use for calculating the two-dimensional electric field in a detector made of wires, planes and tubes); it does not affect the finite-element field map.

Thank you very much for the answer, I will try to fix it taking into account your recommendations. I’ll let you know the results.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.