I am new to using ROOT, and having difficulties while installing

Hi, I am installing root for the first time, have downloaded all the prerequisite. Then while using make -j4 I’m getting following message:

[ 65%] Building CXX object interpreter/llvm/src/tools/clang/lib/CodeGen/CMakeFiles/obj.clangCodeGen.dir/BackendUtil.cpp.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:2903: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.wea'
c++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.

please guide me regarding solution of this problem as I don’t know why it’s arising.

ROOT Version: 6.28.04
Platform: Ubuntu 22.04.2

Welcome to the ROOT forum.

I am not sure what the problem could be. Can you give more details on the procedure you used? As it seems an error in the interpreter may be @vvassilev and @Axel can help.

Hi @roy11 !

First of all: why do you try to build ROOT? You can install ROOT through conda, through your package manager, or if none of that works by download a pre-built binary. Compiling yourself should be the last option :slight_smile: (You don’t compile Python yourself either :wink: )

Now, if compiling is really what you need to do then: the error message you get indicates a mismatch between your compiler and your binutils package, which usually means “your system is broken” or your compiler isn’t installed correctly.

Cheers, Axel

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for helping, I was following the instruction I found regarding installation of root in Windows with WSL, I was not aware of the fact that it can be installed via conda. I hope now I’ll be able to get it done. Thank you.