How to write a Boundary Condition in Elmer Field Calculation

Dear Experts

I’m not sure if this is related to Garfield++, I got a problem when tried to calculate electric field map for Garfield++ by ElmerSolver. In the .sif file, Boundary Condition section, I don’t know how to set the boundary properly. I mean, how can I set the specific wire to a potential? I found there are hundreds of boundary elements in mesh.boundary…how to find a specific wire’s surface to set the boundary condition?

I think @hschindl can help you.

The elements of each boundary should be assigned the same identifier, which is what should be used in the “Boundary Condition” block under “Target Boundaries”. This identifier is the 2nd number in each row in mesh.boundary.

For example, if the mesh was made with Gmsh and then converted to Elmer, this identifier is the ID of the physical surface (or physical curve for a 2D mesh) corresponding to that boundary. If converted to Elmer format using the “-autoclean” flag, these IDs are renumbered starting at 1.

It won’t allow me to place a link in this post, but I have some example code (a Jupyter notebook) that you could use as a guide (if I Google “garfieldfem github” it is the first link for me). The section “1. 2D wire example” shows how to construct a 2D mesh for a single wire using Gmsh and convert it to Elmer format. In the .sif file, a potential of 0V is placed on the enclosing boundary and some chosen voltage (1000V for example) on the wire.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.