How to make an "evolution" plot

Hi,

I’d like to make an evolution plot (my name). Essentially, this is similar to a 2d histogram, but one of the coordinates jumps in a few discrete steps (eg, the beam energy is changing). You draw it in 3d and it looks very pretty and less busy than a bunch of 1d histograms drawn together. I can almost get what I want out of TH2 drawn with the “lego fb bb” options (see attached figure), except for a few things:

(a) The grid of bins with zero content looks like a hash. I’d love to make them all white.

(b) I’d really like to remove the vertical lines on the lego blocks.

© Ideally, I’d prefer planes over blocks. I could live without this feature though.

Is it possible to do any of these things with the existing options? Does anyone have a nice example of a figure like the ones attached?

Best Regards,

mike

P.s. - On a lark, I tried drawing with the E option, which looks strange (attached), but also similar to what I want. The strangeness could be caused by my oldish 4.00.04 version.
sample_evolution_wierd.eps.gz (9.19 KB)
sample_evolution.eps.gz (77.3 KB)

(a) The grid of bins with zero content looks like a hash. I’d love to make them all white.

Only the options SURF2 and SURF4 have no outlines

(b) I’d really like to remove the vertical lines on the lego blocks.

Same thing, these are the outlines. They are always drawn. Have you tried other options 
 like BOX or COL ?

© Ideally, I’d prefer planes over blocks. I could live without this feature though.

This is not availlable.

I cannot reproduce the plot you get with option E. Have you an example reproducing that plot ?