How to get rid of a floating "Function expression or predefined name" message from "Canvas Editor"?

When I open the “Editor”, often this message “Function…” appears and keeps floating over my screen even after minimizing the canvas! This is annoying and also a problem because often I take screenshots of my canvases and this message gets in my way!

For example this:

And this:

message2

How can I get rid of this message without closing the canvas or exiting the root session?

Thanks a lot

_ROOT Version: 5.34/36
_Platform: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
_Compiler: g++ (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609

In $ROOTSYS/etc/system.rootrc set Canvas.ShowToolTipsto false. It should help. Let me know.

Canvas.ShowToolTips:        false

Hi Couet, I see that it’s already set to “false”.

Canvas.ResizeOpaque:        true
Canvas.ShowGuideLines:      true
Canvas.UseScreenFactor:     false
Canvas.HighLightColor:      2
Canvas.ShowEventStatus:     false
Canvas.ShowToolTips:        false
Canvas.ShowToolBar:         false
Canvas.ShowEditor:          false
Canvas.AutoExec:            true
Canvas.PrintDirectory:      .

Thanks

I tried also to turn off the Gui.Tooltip but I did not find a way. In any case these tooltips appear when the mouse cursor stays for some time on GUI element. If you move the mouse cursor away it disappears. So it is easy to make it disappear. @bellenot can tell you more when he will be back.

I usually keep moving the mouse a lot and it seems that it’s almost impossible to get rid of it. But, once in a while it seems to disappear… but randomly… and comes back eventually.

Ok. Note also you have a very old ROOT version.

True and unfortunately for now I am stuck with it. The only solution I have right now is switching screens :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.