High resolution displays and ROOT graphics

Hi,

I can see that this was discussed before. (https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/gui-interfaces-of-root-with-high-resolution-display-hidpi, https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/root-support-for-hidpi-displays-under-linux) But there wasn’t much resolution in those.

Did anything happen since? Since I’m very much affected by this as well.

Are there any plans for “properly supporting” high resolution displays with the ROOT UI? By now modern Linux distributions have a pretty good support for nicely scaling everything on small 4-5K displays. :wink:

Cheers,
Attila

ROOT Version: 6.26/06
Platform: Ubuntu 22.04
Compiler: GCC 11

I do not think there is more for the GUI on that. @bellenot may tell more. when back.

Hi @Attila_Krasznahorkay,

Take a look also at this post GUI dpi scaling? - #11 by luigipertoldi. Maybe you could also give a try to the new RBrowser, that I think shouldn’t have this issue.

Cheers,
J.

Thanks for the pointer!

I was afraid that RBrowser would get recommended. Since so far I’m not all that blown away by it. :slightly_frowning_face: (For instance browsing a large TTree that has O(1k) branches is very inconvenient with it. How do you even order branches alphabetically? :confused:)

In the end I added the following to my laptop’s configuration for now:

Gui.DefaultFont:            -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-36-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.MenuFont:               -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-36-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.MenuHiFont:             -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-36-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.DocFixedFont:           -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-36-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.DocPropFont:            -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-36-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.IconFont:               -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-28-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Gui.StatusFont:             -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-28-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
Browser.IconStyle:           big

Resulting in:

While not perfect, it’s definitely a whole lot better than the original.

Cheers,
Attila

Sorry for the OT, but just want to mention: we direly need this kind of user feedback, that was the motivation for making it the default – please keep it coming! :smiley: (cc: @Axel @linev )

Hi Attila,

When using RBrowser, one can specify filter expression which could help to filter-out only interesting branches of the tree.

Also I just start implementation of web-based TTree-viewer which could help to work with large trees - providing help in tying of draw expressions.

Regards,
Sergey

Hi Sergey,

I tried using the filter feature, but that didn’t go quite as I imagined. I just used a name-fragment as a filter expression. Should one use regular expressions or possibly glob-s?

Also, the filtering seems to happen “over everything”. Not just the branches in a TTree. Which can be weird when I also have a bunch of directories/files/histograms/etc. visible. :confused:

Cheers,
Attila

Yes, filter applied for all elements currently shown in RBrowser.

In RTreeViewer I trying implement different approach - there branch names will be provided in the expression editor.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.