Greek letters fedora 39

Hello,
I recently upgrade my system to fedora 39 and greek letters in TLatex such as “#sigma” is printed as “s”.
Is there a problem with some font packages?
(I am using root-v6-28-08 from official fedora 39 packages).
Thanks for your answer,
Olivier

Maybe @couet can help with this

It is strange because the fonts are coming with ROOT in $ROOTSYS/fonts. So it should be system independant.
You tried something like that ?

auto t = new TLatex(.5,.5,"#sigma");
t->Draw()

?

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Here is the png of the TCanvas…with the “s” in the middle…and not a sigma

Here is what I get:

% root -n
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
  | Welcome to ROOT 6.29/01                        https://root.cern |
  | (c) 1995-2022, The ROOT Team; conception: R. Brun, F. Rademakers |
  | Built for macosx64 on Jun 06 2023, 11:09:28                      |
  | From heads/master@v6-29-01-1517-g72f9994e00                      |
  | With Apple clang version 14.0.0 (clang-1400.0.29.202)            |
  | Try '.help'/'.?', '.demo', '.license', '.credits', '.quit'/'.q'  |
   ------------------------------------------------------------------

root [0] auto t = new TLatex(.5,.5,"#sigma");
root [1] t->Draw()
Info in <TCanvas::MakeDefCanvas>:  created default TCanvas with name c1
root [2] gPad->Print("sigma.png")
Info in <TCanvas::Print>: file sigma.png has been created
root [3] .q

Do you have the fonts folder in $ROOTSYS ?

Hello,
Thank you for your help.
No ROOTSYS is set to / (I installed root using dnf fedora package) ; the font dir is in /usr/share/root/fonts
What is strange the same installation on fedora 38 (ROOTSYS=/ too, font dir is at the same place with the same files) every thing works as it should…
Any idea?
Cheers
Olivier

So, where to you pick root from ? what do you get when you type which root ?

Regarding the fonts folder, you should get:

% ls $ROOTSYS/fonts
BlackChancery.ttf	FreeSansOblique.otf	STIXGeneralItalic.otf	STIXSiz5Sym.otf		courbd.ttf		symbol.ttf		verdana.ttf
DroidSansFallback.ttf	FreeSerif.otf		STIXSiz1Sym.otf		arial.ttf		courbi.ttf		times.ttf		verdanab.ttf
FreeMono.otf		FreeSerifBold.otf	STIXSiz1SymBol.otf	arialbd.ttf		couri.ttf		timesbd.ttf		verdanai.ttf
FreeMonoBold.otf	FreeSerifBoldItalic.otf	STIXSiz2Sym.otf		arialbi.ttf		georgia.ttf		timesbi.ttf		verdanaz.ttf
FreeMonoBoldOblique.otf	FreeSerifItalic.otf	STIXSiz2SymBol.otf	ariali.ttf		georgiab.ttf		timesi.ttf		webdings.ttf
FreeMonoOblique.otf	LICENSE			STIXSiz3Sym.otf		ariblk.ttf		georgiai.ttf		trebuc.ttf		wingding.ttf
FreeSans.otf		STIXGeneral.otf		STIXSiz3SymBol.otf	comic.ttf		georgiaz.ttf		trebucbd.ttf
FreeSansBold.otf	STIXGeneralBol.otf	STIXSiz4Sym.otf		comicbd.ttf		impact.ttf		trebucbi.ttf
FreeSansBoldOblique.otf	STIXGeneralBolIta.otf	STIXSiz4SymBol.otf	cour.ttf		monotype.ttf		trebucit.ttf

Hello
root is in /bin/root and the font dir which is not $ROOTSYS/fonts but /usr/share/root/fonts contains:

STIXGeneralBolIta.otf  STIXGeneralItalic.otf  STIXSiz1SymBol.otf  STIXSiz2SymBol.otf  STIXSiz3SymBol.otf  STIXSiz4SymBol.otf  STIXSiz5Sym.otf
STIXGeneralBol.otf     STIXGeneral.otf        STIXSiz1Sym.otf     STIXSiz2Sym.otf     STIXSiz3Sym.otf     STIXSiz4Sym.otf

Again, on fedora 38, these values (ROOTSYS, fonts dir contain, …) is the same as on Fedora 39 but in the older version, #sigma gives a real sigma greek letter.

can you try:

root [0]  TROOT::GetTTFFontDir()

to see what is the font dir ?

root [0] TROOT::GetTTFFontDir()
(const TString &) “/usr/share/root/fonts”[21]

Ok so it is pointing to the right place.
But in /usr/share/root/fonts it does not seem you have symbol.ttf ?

I try to copy it from an other directory, thus now I have this file…but it doesn’t change anything (but on Fedora38 this file was not there and it works)…

I do not have access to a fedora 39 machine. I cannot try myself. It is realy weird. I never saw that. You do not get any error message ?

Have you tried to install ROOT from sources ? that might be an other option …

$ git clone https://github.com/root-project/root.git root
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ../root
$ make -j8
$ source bin/thisroot.sh
$ root
  1. I have no error/warning printed with the “official” root from fedora 39 package
  2. the compilation from source works !!! I will leave with that for now
    Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.